Scroll down to watch the video.
*This recipe is from the archives. I had a lot of requests to make Linguini and Clam Sauce in a video, so I am updating the recipe with a step by step video as well. Enjoy!*
Linguini with white clam sauce has always been one of my favorite meals and I can say with confidence that this is one recipe I’ve mastered.
By making some very simple changes, this classic Italian dish is easily transformed into a C&D staple.
Here are my simple swaps:
1. Upgrade from white pasta to a whole grain pasta (there are tons of options out there).
2. Use some of the reserved juice from the clams in order to bulk up the “sauce” without using a cup of oil.
3. Thicken the sauce with a couple tablespoons of whole wheat flour in place of butter.
4. Bulk up the volume (and veggie content) by layering the bottom of your bowl with fresh spinach and tossing some tomatoes into the mix.
I also use a ton of clams, because I hate sitting down to a bowl of linguini and clam sauce and not getting enough clams; which is why I usually try to stock up on my canned clams when I see them on sale.
This pregnancy has been a little bit tougher for me than my first, and I definitely find myself turning to food out of pure boredom and for a little extra comfort. I haven’t been nearly as active as I was with my first pregnancy and have been eating a lot more sweets and carbs than my body prefers. All in all, things haven’t gotten too crazy… I am due on Monday (if you can believe that) and have gained 23 lbs so far. I honestly believe that choosing C&D comfort foods (like this recipe) have helped me to stay in check while semi-over indulging.
Pantry Style Linguini And Clam Sauce
- 1 lb. whole grain linguini
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves of garlic chopped
- 2 tbsp. whole-wheat flour any type works
- 2 cups reserved clam juice
- 1 cup of white wine
- The juice and zest of one lemon
- 6 cans chopped clams drained (save the liquid)
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- Handful of fresh chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 handfuls of fresh baby spinach
- Parmesan cheese for serving optional
- Place a big pot of salted water over a high heat on your back burner.
- Place a large non-stick saut pan over a medium high heat on the front burner and add olive oil, garlic, and a pinch of kosher salt. Saut the garlic until fragrant and lightly sizzling, but not brown.
- Add flour to the oil and garlic and quickly whisk to break the flour down (just like you would if creating the base for gravy). Slowly whisk in clam juice, white wine, lemon juice and zest (the goal is to prevent the flour from clumping).
- Toss in clams, tomatoes, and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 5-10 minutes or until the sauce has thickened up.
- In the meantime, add your pasta to the water and set your timer for 7 minutes.
- The sauce and the pasta will be done at right about the same time. Drain the pasta and toss directly into sauce. Finish with some fresh parsley and salt and pepper as needed.
- Line each bowl with a handful of spinach and top with pasta. Enjoy!
- Makes 6 servings.