I’m not sure if we’ve discussed this before, but I LOVE all things Oprah.
Call me a groupie, if you will, because I’m pretty much all in when it comes to Queen O (Except for Weight Watchers. You know how I feel about diets. I don’t play that game).
Anyway, I’ve been wanting to make a recipe from Food, Health and Happiness (that’s O’s cookbook) forever and finally jumped in and started with this soup.
It’s so simple and straight forward (my favorite kind of recipe) but also hearty, satisfying, nutritious and super delicious.
For me, this is healthy comfort food at its best!
Oprah's Kale and Farro Soup
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time:20 minutes
Cook Time:45 minutes
Total Time:1 hour 5 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 leek, white and light green parts thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups pearled farro, rinsed and drained
- 6 cups low sodium organic chicken stock
- 2 cups peeled butternut squash, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with the juices
- 2 inch Parmesan cheese rind
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- 1 bunch of kale, stemmed and chopped
- Fresh Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over a medium heat.
- Add in onions and leeks and cook until softened but not colored, about 4 minutes. Add in carrots, celery, and garlic and cook for another 4 minutes to until the veggies are beginning to soften.
- Stir in the faro, mixing everything together.
- Add in the chicken stock, butternut squash, diced tomatoes, bay leaf, thyme, salt and pepper. Increase the heat to high, bring to a simmer, and then reduce the heat to medium low, partially cover the pot, and then simmer until the squash and faro are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove and discard the cheese rinds and the bay leave.
- Stir in the kale and cook for another two minutes or until the kale has just wilted.
- Serve and top with Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
Nutrients per serving (1/6th of recipe): Calories: 218; Total Fat: 3.6g; Saturated Fat: 0.4g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Carbohydrate: 40.6g; Dietary Fiber: 6.6g; Sugars: 4.4g; Protein: 7.5g