Scroll down to watch the step-by-step video.
What I love so much about this variation is that it’s pasta free and packed with lots of extra garlic and veggies! This version has become my go-to soup whenever I feel a little something trying to wiggle in (my Immunity Chicken Soup is another favorite).
This soup gets all of it’s heat from jalapeno peppers, so you can easily adjust the spice depending on how much jalapeno you add. And remember, most of the heat in a jalapeno comes from the seeds and the ribs that run down the sides, so if you wanted to keep it extra mild, be sure to remove those.
Try making this soup with my homemade chicken stock to create an award winning combo that promises to keep you nice and healthy all year round.
*Note: This recipe demo starts at 4:40 (just incase you want to skip right to it!).
Spicy Chicken + Veggie Soup
Yield: Serves 6
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:25 minutes
Total Time:40 minutes
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- ½ jalapeno, minced
- 5 carrots cut into slices
- 4 cups of sliced cabbage
- 2 large zucchini
- 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 6 cups of chicken broth
- 1.5 cups cooked shredded chicken
- A few handfuls of baby spinach
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- Juice of one lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over a medium high heat and add in onions, garlic, jalapeño and carrots. Give that all a pinch of salt and cook for about 8 minutes or until the veggies are slightly tender.
- Add in the cabbage, zucchini, tomatoes and chicken broth and bring everything to a boil.
- Reduce back down to a simmer and stir in chicken, spinach, cilantro and lime juice. Cook until heated through and enjoy.
- I like to serve this soup with some extra cilantro and sliced avocado.