Low carb baking is new to do me but I decided to give it a try because I had SO many viewers on my YouTube channel asking for some low-carb christmas cookies ideas.
In order to avoid any wheat and gluten, I used a combination of almond flour, coconut flour and almond butter as the base for these cookies and then I swapped in erythritol (a non-caloric sugar alcohol that does not effect blood sugar) where I would normally use a more traditional type of sweetener.
I made sure not to use any weird artificial ingredients to create these cookies and am eager to experiment with more recipes like this.
I will tell you this, they were delicious so if you are trying to cut back on sugars or eating a lower carbohydrate diet, these cookies will not disappoint.
NOT INTO LOW CARB BAKING? NO PROBLEM!
- Soft Ginger Cookies (vegan recipe)
- Grain Free Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip + Cranberry Cookies
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Low Carb Ginger Cookies
Yield: 16 cookies
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time:10 minutes
Total Time:20 minutes
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher sea salt
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/3 cup erythritol (this is the one I used)
- 1 egg*
- 1 tablespoon molasses (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF and line a rimmed baking sheets with parchment or silicone liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour, coconut flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, and sea salt.
- In a large bowl, beat together the almond butter, coconut oil, and erythritol until smooth. Beat in the egg, molasses, and fresh ginger until well combined.
- Add the almond flour mixture and continue to beat until the dough comes together.
- Roll into 1 inch balls and place a few inches apart on the prepared baking sheet, flatten each cookie down just a bit with your finger tips so they look like thick discs.
- Bake for 10 minutes to until set through and crackled over the top (they will also smell delicious). Remove and let cool completely on the pan. Transfer to a plate or an airtight container and repeat until all cookies are done.
- I like to store these cookies in an airtight container in my fridge for up to 1 week.
*If you want to keep this recipe 100% vegan, substitute 1 chia or flax egg for the egg.
NUTRIENTS PER SERVING: Calories 90 | Total Fat 7.6g | Saturated Fat 2.1g | Cholesterol 13mg | Sodium 65mg | Carbohydrate 8g | Dietary Fiber 1.6g | Sugars 0.6g | Protein 2.9g