Who likes to eat the same old leftovers again and again? Not me.
This video is all about ways to recreate your leftovers into a fresh new meal. Here a few things you want to keep in mind:
1. Always cook once and eat twice. Once you’re in the kitchen, never pass up an opportunity to make a little extra. Having some basic leftovers in the fridge is a great way to save time in the kitchen later in the week (I like to call these “head start ingredients).
2. Stock up. Keeping your pantry stocked is KEY to quick, convenient and economical meals. Think beans, grains, olives, and canned tomatoes.
3. Bulk it up. By adding high-nutrient, high-fiber foods to your leftovers, not only do you create new flavors but you can add a lot of volume with out a lot of calories (a great trick for those of you that enjoy a nice big plate of food [like me]!)
4. Add some life. Always try and add at least one fresh ingredient to your leftovers (fresh meaning not from a can, jar or freezer) even if it’s just some sliced scallions or a clove of garlic. Including just one living ingredient to your leftovers will give it (and you) a whole new energy.
These are some of things I try to keep in mind when working with leftovers and you’ll see that I incorporate just about all of these ideas in the video as well.
Do you guys have any tips or tricks you like to use when it comes to working with leftovers? If so, I’d love to hear about them in the comments!
How-To Liven Up Your Leftovers
- 1 COOKED whole wheat pasta
- 1 tsp basil oil
- 1/4 cup diced zucchini
- 1/4 cup of white beans
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 egg
- Combine left over pasta w/ basil oil and pop in a medium saut pan over medium heat. Stir in the zucchini, beans, and tomatoes and cook until everything is heated through.
- In the meantime, spray a small non stick saut pan and bring the heat to low. Crack an egg in the pan and season with a little salt and pepper. Once the edges begin to bubble your ready to flip. Flip the egg and let it go another 10-20 seconds.
- Slide the egg on top of your pasta and enjoy!!