Scroll down to watch the video.
My kids love a bowl of chocolate chip oatmeal for breakfast and their mama loves finding creative ways to give this breakfast a nutritional boost.
Here’s what I do:
- I cook the oats in the microwave for three minutes (if you are anti-microwave, you can also do this on the stovetop).
- Remove, and slowly stir in some egg whites. Not only do the egg whites add an extra kick of protein to the oats but they also make them super creamy. #winwin Just be sure to add them slowly so they don’t scramble.
- Then back in the microwave for one minute. They should be super creamy and yummy when they are done.
- Stir in some coconut oil and cinnamon. The extra healthy fats keep the kids full longer and I like that the coconut oil and cinnamon help to support immunity as well. As far as I’m concerned, kids can never have too many immunity boosters!
- Top with your favorite toppings. In this case, chocolate chips. But I also love fresh berries and nuts or nut butter swirled in.
If you want to see me make these oats in real time, be sure to watch this video from FaceBook LIVE.
My Kids Favorite Oatmeal Recipe
- 1 cup dry rolled oats
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup egg whites
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- few dashes of cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. chocolate chips
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine the oats and water. Pop into the microwave for three minutes (times may vary depending on your microwave).
- Slowly stirin the egg whites and pop back into the microwave for one minute.
- Stir in the coconut oil and cinnamon. Divide amongst two bowls and top with chocolate chips. Enjoy!