The best healthy lemon mug cake that’s keto, gluten free and paleo! This recipe is quick and easy to make with almond flour, lemon zest, lemon juice and 5 other simple ingredients. Your just minutes away from the perfect spring treat!
Remember when I brought you those fabulous healthier lemon bars? If you tried them, you know how good they taste.
But guess what? I wanted to make you another lemon dessert that anyone could enjoy in a matter of minutes. So, I combined the flavor of my lemon bars with my vanilla mug cake recipe and the result was a perfectly soft and moist lemon-flavored mug cake.
You simply can’t go wrong with this lemon mug cake, it’s a light and refreshing option to end a meal. This healthier lemon mug cake is perfectly sweet and moist and packed with tangy lemon flavor. A must try!
This lemon mug cake has the perfect soft, tender crumb, plus sweet, slightly tart flavor from both fresh lemon juice and lemon zest. Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- Almond flour – this mug cake calls for almond flour. There is no substitute in this recipe. I like to use Bob’s Red Mill brand.
- Monk fruit – Sweetens and flavors the cake without any additional sugars or calories. If you prefer, you can sub any granulated sugar you like.
- Ghee – I like to use ghee in this recipe because it adds flavor and is keto and paleo friendly, but melted butter or melted vegan butter is a great substitute!
- Vanilla extract – a hint of vanilla brings out the incredible flavor in this mug cake.
- Egg – one egg will give this cake a wonderful texture.
- Baking powder – to ensure the cake has the perfect rise and texture.
- Lemon juice + lemon zest – the star of the show!
How to make a keto lemon mug cake
This recipe for a lemon mug cake is super easy and can be made in a flash! The full, printable recipe is at the bottom of the page, but here’s a quick rundown:
- Prepare mug. You’ll want to use a 6-ounce mug or small bowl. Be sure to grease it well with ghee, coconut oil or cooking spray.
- Stir ingredients. Combine all ingredients and stir until you have a thick cake batter. Pour the batter into your mug.
- Cook. Pop the mug cake into the microwave for 1 minute or until set.
- Enjoy. Once cooked, you can enjoy as-is or top with any favorite toppings like fresh berries and yogurt.
Tips for the perfect mug cake
- I love using monk fruit in my healthier baked goods. It’s an all-natural sweetener with zero calories. If you would rather use granulated sugar, that totally works.
- Gently stir the ingredients until just combined. Over-mixing the batter can lead to a tough cake.
- Microwave times vary, so your mug cake may not take quite as long or it may need to cook a little longer.
What to love about this lemon mug cake
Aside from this mug cake being absolutely delicious and so easy to make, it’s also much more nutritious than your everyday cake. Here’s some other reasons I’m a huge fan of this lemon mug cake:
- Thanks to the almond flour, this mug cake is packed with healthy fats and fiber to keep you full and satisfied.
- Almond flour is also a wonderful source of calcium and vitamin E.
- Naturally gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free and keto-friendly.
- Low in sugar, so your blood sugar won’t spike after you eat it.
More Mug Cake Recipes:
More Healthy Dessert Ideas:
Thanks so much for reading! You can watch the video down below and if you make this recipe I would love for you to give it a ★ rating below. And be sure to follow me on YouTube, Pinterest, Instagram and FaceBook for more healthy food inspiration!
Keto Lemon Mug Cake
- Grease a 6 ounce mug with ghee, coconut oil or cooking spray.
- Combine all ingredients in a spouted glass cup and stir until you have a nice, rich cake batter. Transfer the batter to the prepared mug and pop it in the microwave for one minute or until set up and cooked though.
- Top with your favorite toppings or enjoy as is!
- I love topping this mug cake with fresh berries and dairy-free yogurt.