Watch the step-by-step video HERE.
After traveling to Savannah a couple weeks back, I ended up with a wicked cold that I then passed along to my son and daughter (mom of the year!).
As much as I don’t enjoy being sick, I do love how it reminds me to slow down and connect to the things that are most important to me. Spending quality time with my family, home cooked meals, taking care of my home… all so simple, but so fulfilling.
A few friends reached out, telling me how much they love to add turmeric to their tea when they are not feeling well and one of them even surprised me by stopping by my house to drop off some fresh turmeric and ginger (amazing!).
I have since been addicted to turmeric, I even have a 101 coming your way next week!
Turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory and rich in antioxidants. It has a mild peppery, earthy flavor with a little brightness. It’s kind of like a toned down ginger with more earth.
After making tea with my turmeric, my brain started to dream about hot chocolate! So I combined the turmeric with some other powerful ingredients like fresh ground ginger, cinnamon, raw cacao powder and honey and came up with this insanely delicious, comforting, hot chocolate that is anti-inflamatory and supports the immune system.
Here’s the thing though.
Because Turmeric is fat soluble it needs to be ingested with a little fat for best absorption. So I recommend either making this with a full-fat grassfed milk or do what I did, and use an unsweetened almond milk (or make it yourself) and then add in a little coconut oil for a kiss of healthy fat.
Or skip all of that and top it with lots of whipped cream!
However you so, I definitely recommend making it. It’s rich and delicious but not super-sweet. It’s the kind of drink that just feels good.
Would love to hear of you try it! Talk soon. xo- Dani
Immunity Boosting Hot Chocolate
- 1 cup of milk either whole milk preferably grass-fed or plain unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated peeled turmeric root
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. coconut oil optional
- Place the milk, cocoa powder, sweetener, turmeric, cinnamon, and coconut oil in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, whisking occasionally until the cocoa and spices are mixed well and the mixture is warmed through.
- Pour into your favorite mug and enjoy!