Scroll down to watch the video.
Pickles are a condiment that show up all summer long, yet for some reason I’ve never thought to make them from scratch. No real reason as to why, it just never entered my mind until a friend of mine (Hi Jamie!) told me about a pickle recipe she made that was both simple and delicious!
For those of you who have never made homemade pickles before, they are surprisingly easy. The bulk of the work is done while they sit in the fridge and pickle. Your job takes all of ten minutes.
And I’ve gotta say, there is something quite charming about making homemade pickles. More times than not, pickles are an afterthought, so taking the time to put a little extra love into this popular condiment really makes a statement.
I plan to make pickles a lot this summer. I want to play with the details, change up the herbs, add some heat, turn them into spears… basically, try lots of different things. If I’ve got any pickle makers out there reading, I’d love to know what are some of your favorite tips, tricks, and flavors when it comes to making pickles?
And for those of you (like myself) who prefer a step-by-step guide, be sure to check out the video!
How-To Make Refrigerator Pickles
- 1 large cucumber sliced into thin rounds
- 1-2 cloves chopped garlic
- 4-5 sprigs fresh dill
- 3/4 cups water
- 1.25 cups white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. + 1 tsp. kosher salt
- Combine water and vinegar in a small sauce pan over a medium high heat and bring to a boil. Shut off the heat, add salt and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, place dill, garlic, and cucumber slices in a 1 quart jar with a lid.
- Once the liquid has cooled, pour it into the jar, pop on the lid and place in the fridge for at least three days. Enjoy!
- Makes 1 jar of pickles.