This homemade Greek Salad Dressing takes just 5 minutes to make and is the perfect finishing touch for almost any salad recipe. Layered with garlic, oregano, fresh lemon juice, red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, and extra virgin oil; it’s easy to make and has bright, fresh flavors. Be warned: this Greek vinaigrette recipe may just be your new favorite!
Homemade salad dressings taste SO much better than the store-bought variety, plus they’re not filled with any weird chemicals or preservatives. This Greek salad dressing is so simple to make, and it uses ingredients that you probably already have in the pantry.
It can also be enjoyed in so many different ways — on a fresh green salad, over my easy Greek salad, as a drizzling sauce for Roasted Vegetables, or as a finishing sauce on a Buddha Bowl.
And, trust me, once you taste this dressing, you’re going to want to use it in as many ways as possible! It’s such a great all-purpose dressing with countless applications.
For a truly incredible Greek salad dressing, I highly recommend using high-quality extra virgiolive oil and red wine vinegar. This recipe uses minimal ingredients but is packed with delicious flavor. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Garlic – Adds so much flavor to the dressing! I recommend using freshly minced garlic. The longer the garlic sits in the dressing, the more the flavor will mellow. If you don’t have fresh garlic available, you can sub it with about 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Oregano – We use dried oregano because it’s readily available any time of the year, but if you’d prefer fresh, chop it up and throw it in the dressing instead!
- Lemon juice – Freshly squeezed lemon juice is best here, avoid the bottled version if possible.
- Red wine vinegar – The vinegar provides a punchy, tangy flavor that nicely complements the oil and lemon juice.
- Olive oil – A good quality extra virgin olive oil offers the richest dressing flavor.
- Dijon mustard – Helps to emulsify the dressing, and also adds flavor.
- Salt and pepper – No dressing is complete without salt and pepper, and this Greek dressing recipe is no exception!
How to make this recipe
This Greek dressing could not be easier to make at home!
Add all of your ingredients to a bowl or a mason jar and mix until well combined and emulsified. If using a mason jar, simply put the lid on and shake the jar until well combined. Seriously — it’s really that easy!
- Make-ahead – If you have time, prepare the dressing ahead of time and store it in the fridge, so it can intensify in flavor and be chilled when ready to enjoy.
- Shake before using – The olive oil may solidify as it sits in the fridge. If this happens, let the dressing sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes, give it a good shake and it’s good to go!
- As a marinade – This Greek vinaigrette works great as a marinade. Add the dressing to a large resealable bag or large dish with about 1 pound of chicken. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before cooking the chicken.
- Creamy Greek dressing – To make this dressing cream-based rather than oil-based, simply replace about 1/4 cup of the olive oil with 1/4 cup of mayo or Greek yogurt or a combination of the two.
- Add-ins – Feel free to add other ingredients to your dressing to change up the flavor, such as shallots, a little honey, lemon zest and/or fresh herbs such as parsley and thyme.
This Greek salad dressing is super versatile and can be used in so many different ways! Here are some ideas:
- Salad – This dressing is the perfect complement to my Greek Salad, but it’s also great with almost any fresh green salad.
- Potatoes – Make oven-roasted potatoes seasoned with this dressing before cooking.
- Grilled vegetables – This Greek vinaigrette makes any grilled veggies so tasty! Simply, grill your favorite veggies (asparagus, red bell peppers, zucchini, mushrooms), place them on a serving tray and brush them with the Greek salad dressing.
- Sandwiches – Add extra flavor to your sandwiches and subs with a drizzle of Greek-style dressing.
Leftover dressing can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days.
More homemade dressing recipes
Looking to change it up and try other homemade dressings? Here are some of my go-to recipes:
5-Minute Greek Salad Dressing
- 1 large clove or two small garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine garlic, oregano, lemon juice, red wine vinegar and dijon mustard in a small jar. Slowly whisk in the extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper. If using a mason jar, you can simply put the lid on and shake the jar until well combined.
- Refrigerate until ready to use. To serve, shake dressing again, right before adding to the salad, and then drizzle over salad.
Absolute FAVORITE dressing!
This dressing has become an absolute staple at our house 🙂 I used roasted garlic this time since I was making some for a few other recipes at the same time. Yum, delicious! Thank you for another wonderful recipe! 🙂
Catherine Noll says
I use this recipe for green salad and cold pasta salad. Thank you!