Scroll down to watch the video.
Apple Season is in full swing and I wanted to share one of our families new favorite apple recipes!
This Grain free Apple Crisp (which also happens to be free of refined sugars as well) is the perfect Autumn dessert and also makes a pretty tasty breakfast as well.
In an attempt to let the natural flavors of the apple shine, I cut way back on any added sweeteners (in this case honey) and chose big fat, sweet, tart Honey Crisp apples.
As for the topping a combination of nuts, shredded coconut, honey, and pastured buttered is all it takes to create a grain-free version of the original.
As for the flavor? I would call this one insanely delicious! But I double dare you to find out for yourself.
Grain-Free Apple Crisp
- 5 large apples; cored and sliced into 1/4 inch pieces and then cut in half again see video for demo
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup pecans halves
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. melted butter preferably grass-fed or pastured
- 1/4 cup honey
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 (be sure the rack is in the middle of the oven) and coat a 88 baking dish with cooking spray or butter and set aside.
- Place almonds, pecans, coconut, salt, butter, and honey on a food processor that holds a minimum of 4 cups.
- Pulse the mixture until it starts to come together into a loose ball (see video). Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine sliced apples, cinnamon and lemon and gently toss until all of the apples are lightly coated in the lemon and cinnamon.
- Transfer apples into the greased baking dish and gently spread them out so they are even in the dish.
- Drop the nut and coconut topping over the top of the apples, using your fingers to distribute it evenly.
- Pop in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until the top is toasty brown and the apples are tender. Cool and enjoy!