Scroll down to watch the video.
Apple Season is in full swing and I wanted to share one of our family’s new favorite apple recipes!
This Grain-free Apple Crisp (which also happens to be free of refined sugars as well) is the perfect Autumn dessert and also makes a pretty tasty breakfast as well.
In an attempt to let the natural flavors of the apple shine, I cut way back on any added sweeteners (in this case honey) and chose big fat, sweet, tart Honey Crisp apples.
As for the topping, a combination of nuts, shredded coconut, honey, and pastured butter is all it takes to create a grain-free version of the original.
As for the flavor? I would call this one insanely delicious! But I double dare you to find out for yourself.
Grain-Free Apple Crisp
- 5 large apples; cored and sliced into 1/4 inch pieces and then cut in half again see video for demo
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup pecans halves
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. melted butter preferably grass-fed or pastured
- 1/4 cup honey
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 (be sure the rack is in the middle of the oven) and coat a 88 baking dish with cooking spray or butter and set aside.
- Place almonds, pecans, coconut, salt, butter, and honey on a food processor that holds a minimum of 4 cups.
- Pulse the mixture until it starts to come together into a loose ball (see video). Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine sliced apples, cinnamon and lemon and gently toss until all of the apples are lightly coated in the lemon and cinnamon.
- Transfer apples into the greased baking dish and gently spread them out so they are even in the dish.
- Drop the nut and coconut topping over the top of the apples, using your fingers to distribute it evenly.
- Pop in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until the top is toasty brown and the apples are tender. Cool and enjoy!