This post is sponsored by Happy Egg Co®
This quick and easy egg fried rice recipe is simple to make and so delicious. It’s like Chinese restaurant-style fried rice, but healthier and made at home!
Egg fried rice is a take-out staple in our home. But once you see how effortless it is to make yourself, you may never want to order in again.
I love to give this traditional rice dish a fun twist by swapping out scrambled eggs with a perfectly cooked, sunny-side up Happy Egg Free Range Blue + Brown Heritage Breed egg. It’s the perfect way to finish the dish and brings all of the flavors together.
What are the ingredients for egg fried rice?
Working with just a handful of ingredients you might already have in your fridge, you can make this nutritious and tasty meal in just 20 minutes.
This recipe is super versatile, so use can truly use whatever veggies or ingredients you have on-hand in your fridge.
- White rice, jasmine or long-grain; fresh or leftover
- White onion, chopped
- Carrots, chopped
- Bell pepper, chopped
- Baby spinach
- Green peas, fresh or frozen (avoid canned; too mushy)
- Sliced scallions
- Low sodium soy sauce (tamari or liquid aminos if you are gluten-free)
- Sesame seeds (optional)
- 4 Happy Egg Free Range Blue + Brown Heritage Breed eggs. These eggs have true blue and chocolate-y brown speckled shells that are so beautiful and the amber yolk color is unlike anything else in the egg aisle! Coming from hens that are raised with love, you can really taste the difference using farmer’s market quality eggs makes in simple recipes like this.
How to make Chinese-style egg fried rice
There’s just four simple steps to make this easy fried rice, right in your own kitchen.
- Prep all of your veggies. Once at the stove, this recipe moves quickly. So be sure to chop all of your veggies beforehand.
- Saute the vegetables in toasted sesame oil until they are tender but still vibrant. The sesame oil adds a great nutty flavor to this dish so try not to skip it!
- Stir in the rice, soy sauce, scallions, and sesame seeds. Cook for a few extra minutes to allow for the flavors to come together and heat through.
- Cook four sunny side up Happy Eggs. I love swapping scrambled eggs for a runny, creamy Heritage Breed egg. Happy Eggs are a favorite in my home because they’re so versatile, easy to make and add delicious, elevated flavor to all my recipes.
Once all your eggs are cooked up, slide them over the fried rice, let that amber yolk run and enjoy.
I hope you enjoy making this healthy, homemade egg fried rice as much as we do! It’s an easy way to make a healthy and happy choice each day.
Thanks so much for reading! You can watch the video down below and if you make this recipe I would love for you to give it a ★ rating below. And be sure to follow me on YouTube, Instagram, and Facebook for more healthy food inspiration.
Fried Rice Recipe
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 cup baby spinach chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas defrosted
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 4 cups cooked jasmine rice
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 4 Eggs
- Heat sesame oil in a large skillet over a medium heat.
- Add in the onions, garlic, peppers, and carrots. Stir well and cook for five minutes or until the veggies are tender and onions are translucent.
- Next, stir in spinach, peas and scallions. Cook for another three minutes or until the veggies are tender but still vibrant.
- Add in rice, low sodium soy sauce and sesame seeds. Stir together and cook for five more minutes or until all the flavors have combined and the rice is heated through.
- In the meantime, heat a small nonstick pan over a low heat, add a little coconut oil to the bottom of the pan (you can also use butter or ghee) and then add one Happy Egg to the pan at a time.
- Once you see the whites start to set up, add a splash of water to the pan and pop on a lid for about 30 seconds. This allows the whites to cook through but leaves the yolks super vibrant and runny.
- Slide the finished egg right over your fried rice to finish the dish. Repeat for each serving, serve and enjoy!