Scroll down to watch the video!
This Four Bean Salad is the ultimate summer side dish when you are headed to a picnic, BBQ, or any type of pot luck meal. Many of the ingredients come from the pantry, so I find myself turning to this recipe whenever I am short on time or working with the bottom of my veggie drawer.
It has a lot of perks. For starters it makes a huge bowl, so it’s great for a crowd (or as a head start ingredient for the week). It also tends to taste better the longer it sits, so you can definitely save yourself some time by making this ahead of time. And finally, it’s super versatile, use whatever beans, vinegar, and fresh crunchy veggies you have on hand, really, it’s an extremely easy-going kind of salad.
Oh, and did I mention that it’s beautiful?
I mean, really, beans don’t get enough vanity love. Just look at all of that vibrancy!
What’s one of your favorite go to salads to bring to a last minute BBQ or cookout? It has to be EASY and DELICIOUS.
- 3/4 lb fresh green beans trimmed and cut into inch pieces
- 2 bell peppers chopped up (I used one red and one orange for color)
- 1 small red onion diced
- 1 clove of crushed garlic
- 1 tbsp of honey
- 1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 15 oz cans of beans I chose garbanzo, kidney, and black beans
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Blanch green beans for 2 minutes and thenimmediately place into a big bowl of ice water to stop the cooking and ensure they maintain their beautiful, bright green color.
- In a large bowl combine peppers, onion, garlic, honey, vinegar and oil. Using a whisk or large fork, whisk everything together until it has emulsified.
- Rinse and drain your beans and then toss them into the bowl with the veggies and dressing. Toss everything together and season with salt and pepper.
- You can enjoy this salad right away but it is even better after it sits in the fridge for a couple of hours.
- Makes about 6 cups.