Black bean soup is one of my favorite go-to recipes. Using canned black beans helps to keep this soup easy enough to make for dinner any night of the week.
The key to making this easy black bean soup taste super fresh and bright (even though we are using canned beans) is to add a handful of fresh ingredients to the soup.
I like to use onions, bell peppers and garlic to create a flavorful base and then finish things up with a fat squish of lime juice and an optional handful of fresh chopped cilantro.
How To Make Easy Black Bean Soup
Start by sautéing your veggies in some olive oil along with a pinch of salt. This helps to create lots and flavor and depth in this quick cooked soup.
Once my veggies are tender, I add in the spices. I use a combination of smokey cumin, bright chili powder and earthy oregano to create a warm, comforting flavor.
Then in go the black beans and broth to finish things up. Personally, I like the flavor of chicken broth in this soup, but you can easily swap in some vegetable broth if you want to create a vegan or vegetarian black bean soup.
Once all of the flavors have come together, I blend half of the soup in the blender and then add it back to the pot to create a rich, creamy soup that still has some texture. And then add in a fat squish of fresh lime juice and some chopped cilantro. So easy and so very delicious.
How To Serve Your Easy Black Bean Soup
When it’s time to serve your black bean soup you have lots of options. I love to add some mild crunchy scallions over the top along with some creamy avocado.
But you can certainly switch that up to include some of your personal favorites.
Here is a list of some delicious toppings for your black bean soup:
- sliced scallion
- chopped onion
- shredded cheese
- diced radishes
- extra cilantro
- greek yogurt or sour cream
- corn tortilla chips (crumbled over the top)
What am I forgetting? Feel free to leave your favorite black bean soup toppings down in the comments below.
How To Store your Easy Black Bean Soup
Often times, I will make this recipe on the weekend when I am doing my meal prep so I have an easy meal to turn to throughout the week.
It makes a delicious leftover, so making it ahead of time is no problem at all.
To store the soup, let it cool to room temperature and then transfer it into air tight containers. Pop on all the lids and then keep them in the fridge for up to five days.
If you notice that the soup seems a little thick, simply add in some extra water or broth when you reheat it to thin it out a bit.
Wanting more easy soup recipes like this one? Try one of these popular C&D recipes:
Please let me know how this soup turns out for you in the comments below! I look forward to hearing your feedback.
Easy Black Bean Soup Recipe
Yield: Serves 4-6
Prep Time:Easy Black Bean Soup
Cook Time:30 minutes
Total Time:40 minutes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large or 2 small yellow onions (about 2 cups chopped)
- 3 bell peppers, chopped
- 6 coves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 4 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups (32 ounces) low sodium chicken broth*
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional toppings: sliced scallions, diced avocado, cilantro, diced radishes, tortilla chips
- Heat olive in a large pot over a medium heat. Add the onions along with a pinch of salt and cook, stirring periodically, for 5 minutes or until onions are just beginning to look translucent.
- Stir in the bell peppers, garlic, cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the peppers have softened and veggies are fragrant.
- Pour in black beans and broth and bring up to a boil and then reduce to a gentle simmer and cook for 20-30 minutes, or until the broth is flavorful.
- Scoop half of the soup into a blender (about 4 cups) and blend until smooth. Be careful not to fill your blender more than half way and start blending on low, allowing steam to escape from the blender.
- Return the blended soup to the pot and a squish of fresh lime juice and adjust the seasonings. Serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
NUTRIENTS PER SERVING (1+1/3 cup): Calories 241 | Total Fat 2.5g | Saturated Fat 0.4g | Cholesterol 0mg | Sodium 295mg | Carbohydrate 43.5g | Dietary Fiber 9.6g | Sugars 8.3g | Protein 12.8g