We go through A LOT of bananas in this house.
Anywhere between 3-5 bananas is our daily average.
And I never worry about buying too many bananas because once they turn brown I either pop them in the freezer and use them for smoothies, protein shakes, and banana ice cream OR bake them into some bread.
Although I don’t do a ton of baking these days I really enjoy it when I do.
This particular recipe is very simple so it’s a great one to get the kids involved with. They can help you mash the bananas, measure ingredients, or stir everything together.
But even if no one wants to help you with the baking I can guarantee they’ll be lining up to help with the eating.
This banana bread is moist, flavorful, and packed with dark chocolate – need I say more?
BUT for those of you are crazy and/or insane and don’t eat chocolate (does such a person really exist?) feel free to swap to the chocolate for some walnuts, it would be delicious.
I don’t push a whole lot of my recipes on you guys but this is one that I would say you absolutely have to try. It’s just that good. So add it to your recipe box and give it a try and then come back and let me know what you think!
Now go and bake. Go on.
Dark Chocolate Chunk Banana Bread
- 1.5 cups of white whole-wheat flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1.5 cup mashed bananas 2-3 bananas depending on the size
- 2 egg whites 1/4 cup
- 1/4- cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup of plain no fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup turbinado sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup 3.5 ounces chopped dark chocolate
- Pre heat oven to 350
- Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine bananas, egg whites, coconut oil, yogurt, turbinado sugar, and vanilla. Gently stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until everything is incorporated and then fold in chocolate chips.
- Lightly spray a loaf pan with cooking spray before pouring the batter into the pan. Pop into the oven for fifty minutes.