Although it is still 75 degrees and sunny here in So.Cal, you can still begin to sense that fall is right around the corner. The nights are a little cooler, the days are a little shorter, and the only place I want to be is in the kitchen whipping up some of my warm and comforting fall favorites like this Curried Black Bean and Sweet Potato Skillet!
This dish is gonna make you wanna put on your feel good shoes and dance because it is made up of one power house ingredient after the next… we’ve got Swiss chard, black beans, quinoa, sweet potatoes, onions and garlic! This is definietely a “power-house-fall-favorite” and I promise that when you are done eating it, you are going to just feel good;).
I have been really addicted to “skillet cooking” lately. I’ve kind of been in this mode where I dig through the veggie drawer and peek through the cupboards, grab whatever I find and cook it all up into a quick skillet meal. I find this is one of the easiest way to get a great meal on the table fast, especially when I don’t have a plan or a lot of time. The one thing that I do have in my corner is that I ALWAYS have a pretty stocked pantry, freezer, and fridge, so I usually have a good base to build off off (ie. beans, broth, garlic, onions, veggies, etc.).
If you want to add one more layer to the dish, try topping it with an over easy egg… to die for!!
On another note, I am trying to decide which videos to shoot for Thanksgiving. There are so many I want to do but can only pick two or three. I would love to hear what you guys would most like to see demonstrated in a video so I’m going to tell you which recipes I’ve been thinking about and you tell me what you think. Here are the options: How-to Roast a Turkey, Ezekiel Mushroom Stuffing, Cauliflower Mash, Lightened-up-Pumpkin Pie, Roasted Root Veggies. Okay, I think that was it. Anything there that you would like to see in a video?? I could really use your input!
Curried Black Bean and Sweet Potato Skillet
- 4 cups of sweet potatoes chopped up
- 1 red onion diced
- 1/2 a jalapeno diced
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped up
- 2 bell peppers any color will do
- 1-15 oz. can of black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 bunch of Swiss chard stemmed and chopped
- 1 cup of cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup low sodium veggie broth
- 2 tsp of olive oil
- 1 tbsp of curry powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large non-stick saut pan. Stir in your onions, garlic,and jalapeos and allow to cook for about five minutes. Stir in the sweet potatoes, curry powder, a pinch of salt and half of the veggie broth. Once everything is well combined, pop a lid on and cook for about six to eight minutes or until your sweet potatoes are just about fork tender.
- Add the beans, quinoa, Swiss chard, and peppers and season with salt and pepper. Pour the remaining broth into the pan before popping the lid on and allowing to cook for another five minutes or so, or until the greens are wilted and the beans are heated through.
- Eat and enjoy!!