That’s what they say.
And when it comes to potato salad nothing could be more true for my beloved mom & dad.
My dad was always an Italian-Style Potato Salad kind of guy and my mom loves a good old-fashioned, mayo-coated, creamy potato salad. Since I’ve already shared my version of my dad’s favorite, I thought it was time to send a little love to my mom.
The secret to lightening up a creamy potato salad is to swap out all or most of the mayo with some non-fat, organic greek yogurt. This will help you cut back on calories and fat, while adding in a good dose of protein from the yogurt (greek-style yogurt packs much more protein than traditional yogurt).
I also recommend just a kiss of red wine vinegar to get that ‘tang’ we all love so much from the mayo. I promise, if you use this formula:
greek yogurt+kiss of vinegar = you won’t ever miss the mayo!
This salad makes a great addition to almost any summer grilling menu, so get your grills fired up and enjoy.
Creamy Potato Salad
- 1 lb. baby potatoes red or gold work
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1/3 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 hard boiled eggs chopped
- Handful fresh chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut potatoes into quarters and put into a medium pot. Add enough cold water to the pot to cover the potatoes by an inch or so. Bring to a boil over high heat and simmer until the potatoes are fork tender (about 5 more minutes after boiling).
- Place potatoes in a large bowl and add onion, celery, yogurt, mayonnaise, vinegar, salt and pepper. Stir until everything is mixed well.
- Gently mix in hardboiled eggs and parsley. Adjust seasonings and enjoy!
- Makes 6 servings (about cup each).