As you know by now, I am a huge fan of Mexican food so starting the day off with Breakfast Tacos is a sure way to put a smile on my face (and that’s without the margarita;).
Technically speaking, this is just a simple scramble with some mexican flavors loaded into a couple of corn tortillas. Now, this particular recipe is as basic as you could get… I just cook up some onions and peppers with a little cumin to give the scramble a nice smokey flavor and then finish it off with a little cilantro (a Mexican food staple).
If you had a little more time on your hands and the desire to play you could certainly add in some beans, light cheese, leftover chicken, or even some spicy jalapenos. You could try topping them with some salsa, light sour cream, greek yogurt, or maybe a little hot sauce. You see what I mean, with a little extra time on your hands and the desire to play, the possibilities are endless!
Now on another note, I don’t know where most of my readers live (if you guys want to tell me where you’re from, in the comments, I would LOVE that) but let me just tell you, here in SoCal the weather has been stupid hot for the middle of October. We’ve been seeing temperatures in the 80s and 90s making it really hard, if not impossible, for me to get into fall’s warming comfort foods. My kitchen has yet to see a pot of soup or a loaf of pumpkin bread (although I have had a go at some unsucessful pumpkin panckaes – seriously – I will get pancakes right one of these days)
I’m hoping we’ll be cooling off sometime soon but until then, I offer you my Clean and Simple Breakfast Tacos!! I hope it will do for now…
Clean and Simple Breakfast Tacos
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1 cup of Eggology egg whites
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1/4 onion diced
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp of chopped cilantro
- 1/2 avocado diced
- 1 tsp grape seed oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a medium non-stick skillet and add onion and peppers. Saute for about five minutes or until your veggies are tender and then season your veggies with salt, pepper and cumin.
- Stir in your egg whites and scramble everything together. Cook about three or four minutes and right before your eggs are set, stir in you cilantro. Shut off the heat and allow the egg whites to finish cooking from the heat of the pan.
- In the meantime, heat your corn tortillas up by placing them right over a burner with a low flame. Give them about twenty seconds or so on each side until they are warmed through and slightly charred.
- Fill each tortilla with a quarter of the egg white scramble and top with freshly diced avocado. Enjoy!