Scroll down to watch the video!
This simple, seasonal Watercress Soup was inspired by my friend Helene.
Helene has a knack for keeping things crazy simple, crazy delicious, and super nutritious. I guess some people just come with the goods. The rest of us have to work for it 🙂
The unexpected ingredient in this soup is the toasted sesame oil. It adds an underlying nutty flavor to the soup that pairs so well with the peppery watercress. Definitely a combo I would have not thought of myself and was excited to discover.
This soup is nice and light, so it’s perfect as a snack before dinner. I like sipping on a mug of it while getting the kids dinner together, it helps me keep my paws off their plates and holds me over until I can sit down and enjoy my dinner.
If you guys want to learn more about watercress, be sure to check out this Watercress 101 – it covers all the basics of this nutritious green. And if you want to see the play-by-play for this soup, check out the video below. Enjoy!
Clean Eating Watercress Soup - (Vegan!)
- 8 cups watercress leaves 3 bunches
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 small Yukon gold potato chopped
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare your watercress by pulling off any thick stems saving the leaves and thin tender stems only.
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a teakettle.
- Heat oil in medium sized pot and add in onion, garlic, and potatoes. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 8-10 minutes or until your potatoes are fork tender. If the pot gets too dry just add some water as needed.
- Add the watercress to the pot and top with 4 cups of boiling water let this simmer for a couple of minutes the goal is for the watercress to be wilted but still vibrant.
- Allow everything to cool down and then pour soup into a blender, no more than halfway, you may have to work in batches.
- Blend on high until your soup is smooth and velvety. Season the soup with salt, pepper and sesame oil. Repeat with any remaining soup. Enjoy!
- Makes 5 cups.