I could not let Cinco de Mayo come and go without sharing this super simple taco recipe with you guys!
Now I love myself a fiesta, but this year, Cinco De Mayo falls on a Tuesday (read: school night) so while I wanted to be festive I also wanted to keep things extremely easy.
The entire recipe can be on the table in 20 minutes (30 if you want to chop up some fresh veggies for toppings) and is family friendly. I like serving everything in separate bowls so my kids can build their own tacos. I have found that giving them the opportunity to be in charge of what goes on their plate actually makes them more willing to try new foods.
You’ll also notice that I add the onions and peppers right at the end of the recipe (a lot of recipes add that at the beginning). I do this on purpose because I like them to maintain their color and crunch, it keeps the overall flavor of the meal lighter and fresher.
I have the step-by-step in the video below for those who want to see it, otherwise you can scroll down to the bottom of the page to print out the recipe. Enjoy!!
Clean Eating Turkey and Black Bean Tacos
- 12 soft corn tortillas I use Food for Life
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tbsp. taco seasoning
- 1/3- cup water
- 1 15- oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced bell pepper
- Optional Toppings: lettuce tomato, jalapeno, avocado, cheese, greek yogurt
- Optional Toppings: lettuce, tomato, jalapeno, avocado, cheese, greek yogurt
- Wrap tortillas in foil and heat in a 350-degree oven for 10-15 minutes or until warmed through.
- Heat a medium saut pan over a medium high heat and add olive oil. Once the oil has heated, add the turkey and season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Continuously stir the turkey until it has all broken down and is opaque on the outside.
- Add taco seasoning and water and stir until all the turkey is coated with the seasoning.
- Stir in black beans, onions, and peppers. Cook for another 5 minutes until everything has heated through.
- Scoop filling into your taco shell and top with your favorite taco toppings (I love avocado, tomato and jalapenos!). Enjoy.