These turkey tacos make for a quick, easy, flavorful dinner option that can be customized to your tastes. They are made with seasoned ground turkey, black beans, onions, diced bell pepper and any other favorite taco topping all wrapped in warm corn tortillas.
Turkey tacos are a popular recipe for good reason – the combination of Mexican-flavored taco meat and tortillas with fresh toppings just can’t be beat. This is the ultimate speedy dinner for those nights where you just don’t know what to make!
How Do You Make Turkey Tacos?
Start this recipe by warming your tortillas or taco shells in the oven and cook and season the lean ground turkey. Once the taco meat is cooked through, add the black beans, onions and diced bell pepper.
I like to add the onions and peppers into the skillet right at the end of cooking (a lot of recipes add these at the beginning). I do this because I like the veggies to maintain color and crunch. It keeps the overall flavor of the meal lighter and fresher.
Once everything is nice and warm, it’s time to start filling your tacos! Add your favorite taco toppings and enjoy!
Turkey Taco Tips
- I like to use my homemade taco seasoning instead of store-bought packaged taco seasoning. It’s quick to make, doesn’t contain additives and is full of flavor.
- Leftover cooked turkey stays fresh in the refrigerator for up to 4 day.
- Serve your tacos with a side of avocado corn salad for a complete meal.
- I love the fresh flavor that pico de gallo adds to these tacos. You can buy pre-made pico de gallo at the store, or make your own.
- Not only does this taco filling make great tacos, use it for taco salads, burritos, quesadillas and more. The possibilities are endless!
There are many ways you can switch up the ingredients in this recipe to suit your preferences.
- Protein: Instead of lean ground turkey, try ground chicken or lean ground beef.
- Tortillas: Swap out the corn tortillas for flour tortillas or crispy taco shells.
- Seasoning: If you prefer your tacos with a kick, add some crushed red pepper flakes or ground chipotle pepper to the taco seasoning.
Feel free to add as many toppings as you like to customize these tacos to your tastes. I like serving all of the toppings in separate bowls, so my kids can build their own tacos. I have found that giving them the opportunity to be in charge of what goes on their plate actually makes them more willing to try new foods. Listed below are some suggestions.
- Shredded cheese
- Diced tomatoes
- Minced red onion
- Jalapeño slices
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Guacamole or diced avocado
- Shredded lettuce
- Diced avocado
- Pico de Gallo
Once you give these turkey tacos a try, you’ll find them making their way onto your regular dinner rotation. They’re just that good! The entire recipe can be on the table in 20 minutes (30 if you want to chop up some fresh veggies for toppings) and is family friendly.
More Mexican Favorites
Thanks so much for reading! You can watch the video down below and if you make this recipe I would love for you to give it a ★ rating below. And be sure to follow me on YouTube, Pinterest, Instagram and FaceBook for more healthy food inspiration!
Ground Turkey Tacos
- 12 soft corn tortillas I use Food for Life
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tbsp. taco seasoning
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 15 oz. can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced bell pepper
- Optional Toppings: lettuce, tomato, jalapeño, avocado, cheese, greek yogurt
- Wrap tortillas in foil and heat in a 350-degree oven for 10-15 minutes or until warmed through.
- Heat a medium sauté pan over a medium high heat and add olive oil. Once the oil has heated, add the turkey and season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Continuously stir the turkey until it has all broken down and is opaque on the outside.
- Add taco seasoning and water and stir until all the turkey is coated with the seasoning.
- Stir in black beans, onions, and peppers. Cook for another 5 minutes until everything has heated through.
- Scoop filling into your taco shell or tortilla and top with your favorite taco toppings (I love avocado, tomato and jalapeños!). Enjoy!