This homemade taco seasoning recipe is a tasty combination of spices that are blended together to make a flavorful, all-natural seasoning. So easy to mix up and without MSG or additives. You’ll never want store-bought again!
Taco night is our favorite and I make tacos often. But have you ever taken a peek at the ingredient list on those pre-made spice mixtures from the grocery store? They are often loaded with sodium, additives and unnecessary sugars. Use my clean eating taco seasoning for the most flavorful tacos and no added fillers.
Not only is this homemade taco seasoning 100% all natural and super tasty, it’s approved for pretty much any diet you may be following. It’s Whole30 compliant, Paleo, gluten free and Keto.
How Do You Make Homemade Taco Seasoning?
This taco seasoning recipe could not be easier! Simply add all of the spices to a small bowl. Stir to combine the spices. You can also add the spices to a jar with a lid and vigorously shake them up to fully mix. Use the seasoning immediately, or store it in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- Make a double or triple batch of this seasoning mix, so that it’s always ready.
- This taco seasoning works great with tacos made with ground beef, turkey or chicken. You can also use the seasoning for fajitas and any other meal for a tasty Mexican flavor.
- The taco mixes from the store contain about 2 tablespoons of seasoning. To use this homemade seasoning in place of a packet, use two heaping tablespoons.
Taco Seasoning Recipe Variations
My family loves this seasoning as-is, but feel free to add other flavorings to make this spice mix your own.
- For a milder taco seasoning, leave out the cayenne pepper or just add 1/8 teaspoon.
- If you like a smoky flavor, use smoked paprika in place of the regular paprika.
- Other add-ins that would be delicious: 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander, 1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion, or 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder. You could also add a pinch of cinnamon.
Taco Seasoning Uses
There are a huge variety of ways to use this taco seasoning recipe. Use it to flavor dips, soups, meats, and veggies. I use this seasoning all of the time in so many different recipes.
Once you see how easy and tasty this homemade taco seasoning is, you’ll never want the store-bought mix again! So, the next time you are thinking to make some tacos or some taco dip, take an extra 5 minutes and make it from scratch. I like to make a double or triple batch to have on-hand whenever I need it!
Thanks so much for reading! You can watch the video down below and if you make this recipe, I would love for you to give it a ★ rating below. Be sure to follow along on YouTube, Pinterest, Instagram and FaceBook for more healthy food inspiration!
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp. cocoa powder
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.