Creamy Chocolate Avocado Pudding is a rich, delicious, decadent dessert that is packed with healthy fats! Made with avocado, cocoa powder, maple syrup, and almond milk; this is a vegan, gluten-free, and dairy-free recipe that comes together in under 10 minutes.
This Chocolate Avocado Pudding is loaded with good-for-you ingredients. Don’t worry, though, we’re not skimping on flavor! This dessert recipe is deeply chocolatey, perfectly sweet, and ultra-creamy. We blend up just 6 simple ingredients to give it a luxuriously smooth texture while the avocado thickens it nicely.
If you’ve never made avocado pudding, then you are in for an incredible treat. It is the simplest recipe to put together. It’s one of our favorite sweet treats because of how rich, creamy and delicious it tastes. Enjoy it for breakfast, snack, dessert, or a late-night treat!
Why you will love this recipe
- Simple and easy: You need a handful of simple pantry staple ingredients to make this vegan pudding recipe and it takes no longer than 10 minutes to mix it together and just refrigerate.
- Healthy and nutritious: Avocados are rich in anti-inflammatory omega-3 fatty acids along with a host of vitamins and minerals and the addition of cocoa provides antioxidants and polyphenols.
- So delicious: You will want to enjoy this avocado pudding on repeat. Rich, creamy, and SO good!
This healthy avocado chocolate pudding tastes amazing and is the perfect little something when you’re craving chocolate! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Avocados: Avocados bring the same level of body, richness, and depth to this mousse that you would normally seek from cream. But instead of adding saturated-fats, the avocado provides healthy monounsaturated-fats.
- Cocoa powder: Gives the pudding a rich chocolate flavor. Cacao powder will also work.
- Sea salt: Balances the sweetness and brings out the flavors.
- Maple syrup: To add natural sweetness. Feel free to sub with honey, date syrup or agave nectar.
- Vanilla extract: For flavor and a subtle sweetness.
- Milk: Any milk will do, but to keep this recipe vegan, use almond milk, cashew milk, or oat milk.
How to make this recipe
This has to be the simplest of all desserts — from start to finish, it only takes about 10 minutes to make! Here’s the simple process:
For the full, printable recipe, reference the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- Blend avocado: Place the avocados into a food processor and blend until it breaks down a bit.
- Blend additional ingredients: Add cocoa powder, salt, maple syrup, and vanilla, and blend again until you have a nice smooth consistency.
- Add almond milk: Blend in 1/4 cup almond milk until you have a creamy, pudding like consistency. If needed, add in extra milk to reach desired consistency.
- Refrigerate: Transfer to an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Enjoy: Serve chilled with a dollop of Greek yogurt or whipped cream!
- Experiment with the consistency by adding more or less milk to the mix. This recipe could easily go from mousse to pudding to fondue just by playing with the amount of milk added.
- Be sure to use perfectly ripe avocados. You want them to be green and slightly soft, not brown or stringy.
- Worried about being able to taste the avocado? Don’t worry, you won’t taste it at all. The only flavor you’ll taste is the delicious chocolate.
- You can serve this avocado pudding right away, but we like it best when chilled. Cover the pudding and let it chill for 30 minutes (at least 4 hours is best) or overnight. The pudding will thicken even more once it’s chilled.
Frequently asked questions
Avocados are a source of vitamins C, E, K, and B6, as well as riboflavin, niacin, folate, pantothenic acid, magnesium, and potassium. They also provide lutein, beta carotene, and omega-3 fatty acids. Avocados contain high levels of healthy, beneficial fats, which can help you feel fuller between meals.
Definitely! Fresh avocado, cocoa powder, and more come together to make a healthy chocolate dessert. This is great for a mid-day treat or an after-dinner dessert.
When stored in an airtight container, this will stay fresh in the fridge for up to about 4 days. Give it a good stir when you’re ready to enjoy and you can add a splash of milk as needed for consistency.
This is pretty amazing with just a dollop of Greek yogurt or whipped cream, but feel free to experiment with other tasty toppings. Here are some options:
- sliced almonds or chopped pecans or walnuts
- a sprinkle of granola
- banana slices
- a drizzle of drippy nut butter
- shredded coconut
- fresh berries, such as raspberries, strawberries or blueberries
- Storing leftovers: Refrigerate any leftover pudding in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- Freezing: This recipe also freezes beautifully! It’s great to prep whenever you have avocados that need to be used. Place in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge.
More healthy desserts
Looking for more delicious healthier treats? Give these favorites a try:
- Frozen Banana Snack Bars
- Pumpkin Mousse
- Mini Pumpkin Pies
- Healthy Chocolate Banana Bread
- Almond Flour Brownies
If you make this avocado chocolate pudding, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below letting me know how they turned out. Your feedback is so helpful for me and our Clean & Delicious community (thank you!).
Creamy Avocado Chocolate Pudding
- 2 ripe avocados (10-12 ounces)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder*
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup maple syrup**
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4-1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Place avocado into a food processor and blend until the avocado breaks down a bit.
- Add cocoa powder, salt, maple syrup, and vanilla, and blend again until you have a nice smooth consistency.
- Add in 1/4 cup almond milk and blend until you have a creamy, pudding like consistency. If needed, add in extra milk to reach desired consistency.
- Transfer to an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 4 days. Serve chilled with a dollop of Greek yogurt or whipped cream!