These little nutrient dense, energy packed bites are super delish and just perfect as a grab and go breakfast, packed in lunch boxes, or served with some coffee or tea and enjoyed as an afternoon snack.
The super seed you see along the outside, are hemp seeds. I’m fairly new to hemp seeds but have been finding some fun ways to work them into my C&D kitchen (see below for more ideas).
I love their creamy texture and mild, nutty flavor. And get this, just 3 tablespoons of hemp seeds offer 10 grams of plant based protein. That’s pretty impressive for such a small seed.
Try adding this recipe to your weekend meal prep so you have them ready to go for a busy week. This recipe is also super easy double (or triple), and freezes well, so keep that in mind when you are getting your meal prep done.
Want to learn more about hemp seeds?
More C&D Hemp Favorites:
Do you love energy bites as much as me? Try one of these other C&D flavors:
- Carrot Cake Energy Balls
- No Bake Oatmeal Energy Balls
- Pumpkin Spice Energy Balls
- Matcha Pistachio Energy Bites
- Matcha Protein Energy Bites
*Thank you to Bob’s Red Mill for partnering with me on my Hemp 101 series. If you want to try hemp seeds, Bob’s is offering 20% off all of their products to everyone in the C&D Community!
Simply click HERE and use code: CLEAN20 to save 20% off on TONS of delicious, nutritious ingredients! *EXPIRES 3/31/18
Chocolate Coconut Hemp Energy Bites
Yield: 15 energy bites
Prep Time:20 minutes
Cook Time:0 minutes
Total Time:20 minutes
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup of almond butter
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 3 tablespoons of maple syrup (which could also be honey)
- 3 tablespoons mini chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes
- pinch of salt
- Combine all of the ingredients in a medium bow and gently mix until everything is mixed together and looks like a thick dough.
- Grab about 1 tablespoon of the dough and shape into a ball. I like to roll the ball into a few extra hemp seeds, but it's totally optional.
- Place ball on a rimmed baking sheet and repeat until all 15 balls are rolled out.
- Place in the fridge for a couple of hours to set up and then transfer to an airtight container.
Nutrients per energy bite: Calories: 116; Total Fat: 7.2g; Saturated Fat: 1.5g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Carbohydrate: 10.6g; Dietary Fiber: 2g; Sugars: 4.5g; Protein: 3.5g