Who would think that a couple of peasant ingredients like cabbage and potatoes could come together and make such a delicious, nourishing, heart warming meal?
I really want to have more to say about this soup, but it kind of speaks for itself.
It’s simple, satisfying, and makes for the perfect head-start meal to make on a Sunday and have in your fridge all week for a quick lunch or dinner.
I’m curious to make this soup again, but this time starting with a little ground pork and trading the potatoes for some brown rice. It would be like the soup version of my Mom’s stuffed cabbage. It’s on my radar.
What about you? What do you like to make to keep you warm as the chilly weather rolls in?
Cabbage And Potato Soup
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 3/4 cup crushed tomatoes
- 5 cups of water
- 1 medium savoy cabbage thinly sliced
- 1 lb. baby potatoes cut into small chunks
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese to serve
- Heat olive oil in a heavy pot over medium high heat. Once the oil is hot, add in the onions and celery. Give it a pinch of salt and saut for 5 minutes or until the onions are beginning to look translucent.
- Add tomato puree and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cabbage and water and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in potatoes, and simmer for another 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Season the soup with salt and pepper.
- Serve with a hearty sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
- Makes 8-10 cups.