Mmmmm, mmmm, mmmm am I loving Quinoa!! I made a big bucket of it over the weekend and have been throwing it in to just about everything all week long.
You see, before seeing this post I would have never thought to add butternut squash to eggs…. which is exactly why I love being inspired my my fellow bloggers… they’re always showing me something new!
Since the “Food Focus” this month is Quinoa, I figured I would add some quinoa into this dish as well, so it would be an “all-in-one meal”. You have your protein, carbs, and fat… it’s like eggs and toast but all it one pan…yum!
I used half eggs and half egg whites, this is an easy way to cut back on the fat a little without losing any of the flavor.
Also, another good tip to keep in mind when trying to cut some “calorie corners” is to use BIG flavors that you only need a little bit of. So for example, the blue cheese crumbles; adding just a quarter cup of Blue cheese crumbles to this dish is enough to give the entire dish the perfect punch of salty, creamy, delicious flavor!
I had this meal for dinner and served it with an arugula salad tossed in lemon and olive oil (it seriously couldn’t be any easier or any more delicious!), but you could easily enjoy this for any meal of the day.
It also makes a great leftover, remember… if you’re gonna cook, you may as well cook once and eat twice!
I’d love to hear some of your favorite ingredients to throw into a Frittata… I’m hoping I’ll hear some more that I would of never thought of :)!
Butternut Squash and Quinoa Frittata
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 3 cups of cubed butternut squash
- 1 tsp fresh chopped rosemary
- A pinch of nutmeg
- A splash of water
- 1 cup of cooked quinoa
- 3 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup of skim milk
- 1/4 cup of blue cheese crumbles
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Heat olive oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add in onions and allow to cook for about eight minutes or so you want them to be translucent and on theyre way to sweet.
- In the meantime combine eggs, egg whites, milk, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Once the onions are ready, stir in squash, rosemary, and nutmeg. Add a splash of water and pop a lid on for about ten minutes or until just tender. Remove lid and stir in quinoa.
- Once everything is well combined, turn the heat off and pour in egg mixture. Top with crumbled blue cheese and pop everything in the oven for about 20 minutes.