*this recipe has been updated from 2007
Today we are leveling-up brown rice crispy treats. These Brown Rice Crispy Treats are a higher-quality version of the original (no refined sugars and no marshmallows!).
Instead they use brown rice crispy cereal, brown rice syrup, peanut butter (or any nut butter), and vanilla… that’s it.
And the best part is, they are just as easy to make as the original recipe. #winwin
You can certainly enjoy them without the chocolate chips but in our house, everyone agrees that a sprinkle of mini chocolate chips makes them even better.
Brown Rice Crispy Treats
Yield: Makes 9 squares
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time:5 minutes
Total Time:15 minutes
- 1/2 cup of all natural crunchy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup of brown rice syrup
- 4 cups of brown rice crispy cereal
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup of chocolate chips, (optional)
- Mix peanut butter, rice syrup, and vanilla and heat over a low heat in a small sauce pan until the mixture becomes warm and syrup (this will only take a few minutes).
- While your peanut butter syrup is heating, spray a large bowl with cooking spray before adding the rice cereal. Pour ooey gooey peanut butter syrup over the cereal and combine until all of the rice cereal is evenly coated.
- Transfer brown rice into an 8x8-baking dish that has been lightly coated with non-stick cooking spray. Pat them down and make them nice and even, pop in the fridge about an hour or so, then cut em’ up and enjoy!