What can I say, the cool, crisp air really gets me in the mood for baking!
I have to be careful though, because unlike so many talented bakers out there, I have a hard time keeping my fingers out of the batter, or resisting anything that is fresh baked out the oven!
Ever notice how easily half a tray of brownies can go down?? It never fails to surprise me.
I try to come up with recipes that allow me to curb my cravings to bake without getting myself into too much trouble. Eating half a tray of banana oat muffins just isn’t the same as ooey, gooey, brownies or fresh baked peanut butter cookies.
These muffins are packed with goodness; whole wheat flour, bananas, goji berries, and walnuts. I find it really easy to sneak nutritious ingredients into baked goods, which I really like because it’s like “killing two birds with one stone.” I get to eat well, and I get to enjoy some fresh baked comfort food, what’s not to like about that?
Try individually wrapping each muffin in plastic wrap and popping them in the freezer. Then the next time you want a fresh baked muffin, just pop one in the microwave for 30 seconds or so and enjoy!
Banana Oat Muffins
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup white flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup goji berries
- 1/2 cup walnuts optional
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl; combine brown sugar, oil, egg, vanilla, and mashed bananas, stir well.
- Add dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir until everything is incorporated. Stir in oats, goji berries, and walnuts.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups sprayed with non stick cooking spray. Bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through. Cool and enjoy!