This rich and creamy asparagus soup is 100% plant based and so easy to make. Using just six ingredients this vibrant soup comes together in 30 minute and makes a delicious lunch or light dinner.
If you want a recipe that will have you looking forward to spring while walking you through the end of winter, this vegan soup is for for. Creamy asparagus soup is bright and flavorful, while being warm and comforting all at the same time.
I just love a good green soup this time of the year. This one is no exception to the rule.
How Do I Make Asparagus Soup From Scratch?
I know I say this all the time, but seriously, this is such an easy recipe to make. Here’s the basic breakdown!
- Saute onions in olive oil until translucent (but not browned).
- Add in garlic, asparagus, beans, salt, pepper and give it a good stir.
- Pour in veggie broth (or water) and bring to a boil
- Reduce down to a simmer and cook for 5-10 minutes or until the asparagus is fork tender.
- Cool and blend until rich and creamy.
The secret to making this soup so creamy without using any dairy is the beans! Once they blend up, they add a rich, velvety texture to the soup, plus that pack in a bit of protein.
I like to serve this soup topped with a drizzle of coconut milk to make it look beautiful, but that’s 100% optional.
Can I Freeze This Recipe?
Absolutely, yes! Let the soup cool completely and then transfer into an airtight, freezer safe container. This soup will last in your freezer for up to three months.
Defrost the soup in the refrigerator for 12 hours and then reheat it on the stovetop over medium heat until hot.
More Simple Soup Recipes:
Thanks so much for reading! You can watch the video down below and if you make this recipe I would love for you to give it a ★ rating below. And be sure to follow me on YouTube, Pinterest, Instagram and FaceBook for more healthy food inspiration!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 pounds asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 15 ounce can cannelini beans
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth (or filtered water)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pot and add onion with a pinch of salt. Saute onion until it is translucent and tender (not browned) this takes about 5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, asparagus and beans and season with a bit of salt and pepper and give it all a stir.
- Pour in the veggie broth and crank the heat to high bringing everything to a boil.
- Reduce down to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes or until the asparagus is fork tender. Shut off the heat and let the soup cool for a few minutes before blending.
- Working in batches, spoon the soup into your blender, filling the blender no more then 1/4-1/3rd of the way up. Place on the lid, leaving it slightly a jar so steam can escape and blend until the soup is rich and creamy. Repeat until you have finished all the soup.
- Serve right away! Or, transfer back to the pot to reheat and serve OR store in an airtight container in your fridge for up to 5 days.