Apparently, when one becomes pregnant, while the body focuses on nourishing the little blueberry, other bodily systems can have the the tendency to slow down. Let’s just say I’ve been keeping the local bakeries in business lately buying bran muffins for breakfast and decided it was due time to get into the kitchen and whip up my own!
This is actually a recipe that my sister sent me. I’m not exactly sure where she got it but it was good. I of course added some minor changes of my own like using the white whole wheat flour, low fat buttermilk and adding the raisins. As for the topping, I borrowed that idea from Andrea over at Andrea’s Recipes. She has a recipe for Apple Cinnamon Crunch Muffins that look d’lishes and her crunchy, nutty topping is exactly what my Apple Oat Bran Muffins needed!
These muffins are really simple to make (come to think of it, pretty much all muffins are really simple to make). I made them as soon as I woke up today and ate one (okay, fine… two) hot right out of the oven. The batter is pretty standard, so it’s really important that you add a big, fat heaping cup of diced apples to these muffins and don’t forget the raisins; these are the ingredients that really give the muffin all it’s flavor. So if you don’t have apples that taste great on their own, don’t bother making these guys… you really need a good, crisp, in season apple to pull this simple recipe off!
On another note, I think my husband and I are gonna try to shoot some videos tomorrow. I’m hoping to at least get one or two Turkey Day videos up… wish me luck;)!
Crunchy Topped Apple Oat Bran Muffins
- 1-1/2 cups of white whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup of oat bran
- 1/3 cup of brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1- cup low fat buttermilk
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 heaping cup of diced apples
- 1/3 cup of raisins
- 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Pre-heat oven to 375.
- In a small bowl combine the walnuts, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Set this aside for now, this will be the yummy crunchy topping we add to the top of the muffins!
- In a medium bowl stir together flour, oat bran, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine buttermilk, egg whites and oil. Add to dry ingredients; stir just until moistened. Stir in diced apples and raisins.
- Spray muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray. Spoon about a quarter cup of batter into each muffin cup and then top each one with a teaspoon of crunchy topping. Pop in the oven for 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Enjoy!