Detox Lentil Soup is one of the simplest, most flavorful lentil soups you can make (and it’s so easy!).
I’m not trying to be super scientific with the detox part of this lentil soup but this lentil soup just so happens to be jam packed with ingredients that are known to help detoxify the body; garlic, onions, and leafy greens just to name a few.
And other then being absolutely delicious, lentils offer a ton of nutritional benefits including lots of fiber, plenty of protein, and a good dose of folic acid so you can feel really good about this beautiful bowl of lentil soup.
I was initially inspired by this recipe from Ina Gartner (aka The Barefoot Contessa) and made some slight changes based on what I had on hand. Ina’s recipe calls for both onions and leeks which I think is part of the reason this soup is so flavorful. I love the combination of the mild, fresh leeks with the depth of flavor from the more aggressive yet sweet onions.
I also couldn’t help but add some greens to this soup. They just seem to fit right in and give another layer of texture and flavor to this already delicious lentil soup.
I added my greens early, so they would have enough time to become tender, but if you are using a lighter green, like spinach or dandelions, I would wait and add them in right at the end.
This recipe makes a whole lot of soup that just so happens to freeze really well, but if you aren’t looking to have 16 cups of lentil soup in your life you can easily cut the recipe in half.
And remember, if you want to keep this soup vegan or vegetarian simply swap the chicken broth for veggie broth or even more water.
Quick Question: Am I allowed to say that this is one of the best lentil soups I’ve ever had even if I made the recipe? Or is that too much like swearing that you have the cutest kid? Either way, I highly recommend you give it try!
LOVE LENTILS? TRY ONE OF THESE OTHERE C&D LENTIL RECIPES
- Lentil Salad with Grapes + Greens
- Lentil + Kale Whole Grain Noodle Bowl
- Lentil Hummus
- Simple Red Lentil Stew
- Lentil Joe’s
Detox Lentil Soup Recipe
Yield: 16 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 50 minutes
- 1 pound green lentils
- 2 onions, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 2 leeks, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 6 cloves of chopped garlic1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 stalks of chopped celery (about 3 cups)
- 6 carrots, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1 bunch of collard greens, stemmed and cut into ribbons
- 4 cups chicken stock (use veggie broth to keep recipe 100% vegan)
- 8 cups water
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large stockpot on medium heat, saute the onions, leeks, and garlic with the olive oil, salt, pepper, thyme, and cumin for about 20 minutes or until the vegetables are translucent and very tender.
- Add the celery, carrots and collards and saute for 10 more minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, water, tomato paste, and lentils. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 1 hour, until the lentils are cooked through. Adjust the seasonings and finish with the sherry vinegar. Enjoy!
NUTRIENTS PER SERVING (1-cup): Calories 179 | Total Fat 4.2g | Saturated Fat 0.7g | Cholesterol 2mg | Sodium 138mg | Carbohydrate 25.9g | Dietary Fiber 5.4g | Sugars 5.8g | Protein 10.1g