Okay, so I’ve been fairly addicted to “skillet” meals lately, it’s just one of the easiest ways to get good food on the table fast. Which is exactly what we will be needing once the kids are back in school and after school activities are back in effect.
This particular recipe was one of those, “hungry-for-dinner-with-no-plans-in-mind” meals. I came home on a Tuesday, opened the fridge and just pulled out what I had on hand.
I served it over some spaghetti squash but it would also work with rice, pasta or even a side of some fresh-baked sourdough bread from your favorite bakery.
As always, use this recipe as a guide and adapt it to whatever you have hanging around in your fridge. #makeitworkforyou
Turkey and Zucchini Skillet Recipe | Easy Weeknight Dinner Idea
Yield: Serves 4-6
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 small-medium zucchini, cut into quarters then chopped
- 2-15 ounce cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 heaping tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes (*optional toppings)
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat and add oil. Once the olive oil is hot, stir in your onions and garlic along with a pinch of salt. Let them cook for a couple minutes or so or until your onions are fragrant and beginning to look translucent.
- Push all the veggies to one side of the pan and then using a wooden or rubber spatula, stir in your ground turkey. Season the turkey with some salt and pepper be sure to break it up into small pieces.
- Once the turkey has lost it's pink color, begin to combine the ground turkey with the onions and garlic.
- Add in zucchini, oregano, a little more salt and pepper, and tomatoes. Give it a good mix and allow everything to simmer for 15-30 minutes depending on how soft you like your zucchini.
- Serve over a bed of spaghetti squash (or pasta, rice, cauliflower rice, etc) and top with some red pepper flakes and parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
Nutrients for 1/4th of recipe: Calories: 279; Total Fat: 11.6g; Saturated Fat: 3.5g; Cholesterol: 80mg; Sodium 138mg, Carbohydrate: 19g; Dietary Fiber: 3.5g; Sugars: 10.2g; Protein: 25.6g