Acai Bowls seem to be the latest and the greatest when it comes to smoothie bowls and for good reason. They are delicious, nutritious and make a beautiful and tasty base for a smoothie (or smoothie bowl).
What is Acai?
Acai is a tiny little berry that looks like a little blueberry. They grow on palm trees that thrive on forest edges near rivers and streams in places like Brazil and South America. And unless you live in those areas, it’s very unlikely that you will ever find fresh acai berry local to you, because they are very perishable and difficult to transport. This is why here is the US, our access to acai is usually in a powder, juice, supplement or frozen pulp form.
Some Nutritional Benefits of Acai
- High levels of anti-oxidants; more then blueberries, cranberries and strawberries
Low in sugar
Rich in calcium, fiber and vitamin A
- Healthy fatty acids, similar to those found in a good quality extra virgin olive oil
- Help boost energy levels
- Help improve sleep
But most importantly for those of us who enjoy delicious food, they taste great. The flavor is a cross between a berry and a pice of chocolate, all in one! #yumscrum
I love buying the frozen acai pulp to make a smoothie bowl, just like this one. The key os to keep the smoothie thick and creamy so you can add some toppings and eat it with your spoon. Enjoy!
DIY Acai Bowl
Yield: Serves 1
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
- 100 grams acai (1 packet frozen acai pulp)
- 1/2 cup frozen pineapple (or 1/2 frozen banana)
- 1/3 cup frozen blueberries
- handful of baby spinach (optional)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 3/4 unsweetened almond milk
- sliced bananas
- hemp seeds
- shredded coconut
- Combine everything in your blender and mix until thick and creamy. Transfer into your favorite bowl and top with any of the topping that you enjoy!