Oh yes I did.
As I began to think of recipes I wanted to make for Father’s Day, ice cream sandwiches popped into my head and the next thing I knew, I was in the kitchen making these Clean & Delicious ChipWhich Sammies.
And yes! They are as good as they look. How could they not be? Cookies and ice cream seem like a pretty sure deal, no?!
You, could of course, use any ice cream or frozen yogurt you like. You can even use NiceCream (if you plan to eat them right away). The choice is all yours and I’m here to tell you there’s no going wrong.
My intention was to create a more ‘real food’ version of the classic. This is not a low calorie dessert but it is an extremely enjoyable homemade ice cream sandwich (I can promise you that).
This is a family-friendly dessert that is just perfect for Father’s Day.
Healthy Homemade ChipWhich Recipe
Yield: 9 chipwhich sammies
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 22 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes (plus time to chill)
- 1 cup all natural, unsalted almond butter
- ¾ cup coconut sugar (or sugar in the raw)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher sea salt
- 3 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 3/4 cup vanilla ice cream (I used Halo Top)
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Pre heat oven to 350. Line a rimmed baking sheet with a silat mat.
- Combine almond butter, sugar, egg, baking soda and salt in a large bowl and hand mix until everything is incorporated. Gently stir in chopped chocolate.
- Scoop one tablespoon of batter into your hands and form a round, ball and then squish into a disc (See video). Place on the baking sheet and repeat until you have worked through all the batter. You should be able to make 18 cookies.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown and set though. Cool completely before sliding your sandwiches.
- Once you are ready to build your ChipWhich set ups your work station. You will need your cookies, ice cream, chocolate chips, and plastic wrap ready to go.
- Scoop about 3 tablespoons of ice-cream on top of one cookie halve. Place another cookie on top and gently press the cookie down until the ice cream is spread evenly between the cookies and you have a sammie.
- Roll the edges of the ice-cream sandwich in the chocolate chips and then wrap in the plastic wrap. Then roll the wrapped sammie like a wheel to make sure the chips stick to the ice cream.
- Pop in the freezer and repeat until you have finished all your cookies.
*Note: if your ice cream gets to soft, pop it back int he freezer for a few minutes until it has firmed up a bit and then continue.
When you are want to eat them, remove the plastic wrap and enjoy!
Nutrients per ChipWhich: Calories: 327; Total Fat: 21.3g; Saturated Fat: 4.3g; Cholesterol: 39mg; Carbohydrate: 33.9g; Dietary Fiber: 5.4g; Sugars: 24.2g; Protein: 10.9g