Have you tried the Black Bean Rotini from Trader Joe’s?
When I posted my Trader Joe’s Grocery Haul video a few weeks back, this was the one item I got a lot of requests about. You guys wanted to see it used in some recipes, so that’s just what I did.
This recipe is super simple and perfect for the Spring!
Because this pasta is made from black beans it is much higher in protein then most pasta (it has 14 grams per serving). But if you did not have this pasta on hand, you could certainly use a traditional pasta for this recipe.
You can enjoy this meal all on its own as a light lunch or dinner or serve it along side some simply grilled chicken or fish to make it a bigger meal.
Have you tried the Trader Joe’s Black Bean Rotini yet? If so, I’d love to hear your thoughts!
Black Bean Pasta with Peas
Yield: 2-3 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 6 oz. Black Bean Rotini
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1.5 cups frozen peas
- 1 tbsp. fresh mint
- The juice and zest of one lemon
- 1/4 cup reserved pasta water (to help thicken the sauce)
- 2 tbsp. grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Cook the pasta according to instructions, being sure to reserve 1/4 cup of the pasta water before draining.
- In a large non-stick sauce pan, heat the olive oil over a medium-low flame. Add in onion, season with a pinch of salt and saute for 5 minutes or until onions are looking translucent.
- Stir the garlic into the onions and add in the peas and lemon juice. Cook the peas for a 5 minutes or until they are heated through and still have a pop to them.
- Toss in the pasta and pasta water and give it all a stir. Finish by gently stirring in fresh mint and cheese (optional). Adjust seasonings and enjoy!