Scroll down to watch the video.
My kids love a bowl of chocolate chip oatmeal for breakfast and their mama loves finding creative ways to give this breakfast a nutritional boost.
Here’s what I do:
- I cook the oats in the microwave for three minutes (if you are anti-microwave, you can also do this on the stovetop).
- Remove, and slowly stir in some egg whites. Not only do the egg whites add an extra kick of protein to the oats but they also make them super creamy. #winwin Just be sure to add them slowly so they don’t scramble.
- Then back in the microwave for one minute. They should be super creamy and yummy when they are done.
- Stir in some coconut oil and cinnamon. The extra healthy fats keep the kids full longer and I like that the coconut oil and cinnamon help to support immunity as well. As far as I’m concerned, kids can never have too many immunity boosters!
- Top with your favorite toppings. In this case, chocolate chips. But I also love fresh berries and nuts or nut butter swirled in.
My Kids Favorite Oatmeal Recipe
Yield: 2 servings
Prep Time: 1 minute
Cook Time: 4 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
- 1 cup dry rolled oats
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup egg whites
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- few dashes of cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. chocolate chips
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine the oats and water. Pop into the microwave for three minutes (times may vary depending on your microwave).
- Slowly stir in the egg whites and pop back into the microwave for one minute.
- Stir in the coconut oil and cinnamon. Divide amongst two bowls and top with chocolate chips. Enjoy!