Scroll down to watch the step-by-step video.
This bright and comforting Lemon Spinach + Chicken Soup is the second recipe I share in my ‘3 Homemade Chicken Soup Recipes’ video (classic chicken noodle and spicy chicken and veggie are the other two).
This recipe uses the same base ingredients as my classic chicken soup, but I brighten up the flavor with lots of fresh lemon juice and zest. Pair that with some baby spinach and tri-colored couscous and you end up with a big pot of family friendly comfort food that works all year round.
And remember, if you want to bring your chicken soup to the next level, homemade chicken stock is a sure way to get the job done. Enjoy!
*Note: This recipe is the second demonstrated in the video below. If you want to jump right to it, it starts at 2:40
Lemon Spinach + Chicken Soup
Yield: Serves 6
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 3 celery, diced
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced
- 3-4 cups baby spinach
- 1.5 cups shredded chicken
- 2 qt. chicken stock
- 2 c. cooked couscous
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add in the onion, garlic, carrots, celery, and lemon zest and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the veggies are slightly tender (about 6 minutes) and then add in the chicken, spinach, scallions, lemon juice and chicken stock.
- Turn the heat up and let everything come to a boil and then turn off the heat.
- Place a scoop of couscous in the bottom of you bowl and then ladle the soup over the top. Finish with a few extra scallions and some lemon zest and enjoy!