Scroll down to watch the step-by-step video.
I grew up eating Chicken Parmigiana and to this day it is one of my all-time favorite meals.
Traditionally, this dish is a pretty heavy meal; pan fried chicken with cheese served over pasta.
Delicious, but not something that would work for the weekly rotation in my house. So I’ve give it a little Clean & Delicious twist so we can all enjoy this Italian classic in a light and fresh way, each and every week.
Simple swaps like baking the chicken instead of frying and serving it over spaghetti squash or zoodles, make it really easy to lighten things up with out sacrificing any flavor.
I’d love for you to give this one a try and then come on down to the comments below and let me know what you think. Enjoy!
Baked Chicken Parmigiana
Yield: Makes 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1lb. of thinly sliced boneless, skinless chicken cutlets
- 1 beaten egg
- 3/4 cups of Italian breadcrumbs (you won't use it all)
- 2 tbsp. of grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 tbsp. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Spray a rimmed baking sheet with some cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the breadcrumbs with the Parmesan cheese.
- In a separate medium bow, whisk your egg.
- Pat your chicken cutlet dry with a paper towel and then season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Dip each chicken cutlet into the egg (allow excess to drip off) and the coat both sides of the chicken with the breadcrumbs.
- Lay on the baking sheet, being sure not to over crowd the pan, and pop into the oven for 6-8 minutes on each side.
- Remove from oven and top each cutlet with a couple tablespoons of tomato sauce and a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese.
- Pop it back into the oven (or under the broiler) until the cheese has melted.
- Serve along zoodles, spaghetti squash, or brown rice pasta.
Calories: 258; Total Fat: 7.7g; Saturated Fat: 3.6g; Cholesterol: 80mg; Sodium: 706mg; Carbohydrate: 13.1g; Dietary Fiber: 0.5; Sugars: 1.5g; Protein: 35.2g