Cold, creamy, coffee drinks are delicious and very tempting on these hot summer days. But did you know that if you buy them from your traditional coffee shops, they can run upwards of 50 grams of sugar per drink (and thats not even the super fancy flavors).
Making your own at home is not only healthier (this version has 15 grams of sugar, that’s a big difference!) but it’s very simple, especially if you have some cold-brewed coffee concentrate already made. If you don’t, you can always use a few shots of expresso, just make sure it’s cooled down to at least room temperature before hand, otherwise it will make for a watery-flavorless drink.
To make this cold, creamy coffee drink all you need to do is combine equal parts of coffee concentrate with your favorite milk (I used an organic, pastured, full fat cows milk because that’s what we had in the house, but you can use any type of milk you prefer) then add 1 tbsp. of chocolate syrup and a handful of ice and blend. It’s just that easy.
A couple of things to note:
- You can skip the chocolate syrup and you would have yourself a simple, delicious, coffee flavor Frappacino.
- Play around with your ice, start with less then you think you need and then add more if you want it. The first time I made this I added too much ice and I kept getting ice chunks stuck in my straw.
- If you’ve got it, a little whip cream on top makes this the ultimate treat. A couple tablespoons would just add about 30 calories, still keeping this drink under 150 calories.
Ok, so that’s it… now get to it!
Here’s the link for the cold brewed coffee concentrate (which also makes and ah-mazing iced coffee).
And of course, be sure to watch the video if you want the step-by-step demo of how it’s done (or if you just want to see my new highlights!).
Clean Eating Chocolate Frappuccino
Yield: Serves 1
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
- 3 ounces coffee concentrate
- 3 ounces of milk (I used 2% - you can use any type that you love)
- 1 tbsp. chocolate syrup
- Big handful of ice
Place everything in the blender and blend until thick and creamy. Pour into your favorite glass and top with a little whipped cream (if you please) enjoy!
Nutrients per recipe: Calories: 109; Total Fat: 1.9g; Saturated Fat: 1.2g; Cholesterol: 8mg; Carbohydrate: 18.1g; Dietary Fiber: 0.5g; Sugars: 15.2g; Protein: 4.4g