How To Make Perfectly Cooked Hard Boiled Eggs (Video)

Hard boiled eggs are a STAPLE in my kitchen.  I always have them on hand.  They’re a simple, protein-packed, whole food that everyone in my home loves to snack on.

A few years back (2009 to be exact) I posted an Egg 101 video.  The intention was to explain some of the nutritional values of eggs and clear up any misconceptions.  At the end of the video I shared my go-to technique for making hard-boiled eggs and thanks to my ‘not-always-so-friendly-brutally-honest-sometimes-obnoxious’ commenters on YouTube (who I love dearly) I realized that not everyone wants to wait 3 and a half minutes before learning the technique, so I decided to make the ‘express version’.

It’s short and sweet and to the point.

Do you have any favorite tips or tricks for perfectly cooked hard boiled eggs?  Let’s hear all about them down in the comments below!

Perfectly Cooked Hard Boiled Eggs

• As many eggs as you want to make
  • Cold water

Place eggs in the bottom of your pot.  Add enough cold water to come about 1-inch above the eggs.  (You can use as many eggs that fit in the pot without overcrowding).

Bring the water to a boil.  Once you've got your boil, turn off the heat, pop on a lid and set your timer for 11 minutes.

Drain your the water and if you want to attempt to make your eggs 'easy-peelers' submerge the eggs in cold water for a few minutes (feel free to add ice cubes!).

Enjoy!

Nutrients per egg: Calories: 70; Total Fat: 5g; Saturated Fat: 1.5g; Cholesterol: 215mg; Carbohydrate: 0.5g; Dietary Fiber: 0g; Sugars: 0g; Protein: 6g

20 Responses to “How To Make Perfectly Cooked Hard Boiled Eggs (Video)”

Pam Stewart — January 7, 2013 @ 6:43 am

I peel the hard cooked egg and wrap in plastic wrap to take along when traveling, so I don’t have to eat that horrible airplane food.

1.1
      Dani — January 8, 2013 @ 9:59 am

Yes! They are a great travel snack, aren’t they?

Rita Bellitto — January 7, 2013 @ 8:20 am

Here’s a quick soft boiled recipe. Bring eggs to rapid boil, cover & remove from heat.
    Keep covered for two minutes. Then remove lid and pour cold running tap water into pot. Wala! Soft boiled perfect eggs!

2.1
      Dani — January 8, 2013 @ 9:58 am

oooooh. thanks for this. I really want to give it a try.

Brian — January 7, 2013 @ 8:24 am

Dani – how do you store your left-over eggs? I’ve heard many different ways but I do not know which is the best. I’ve tried putting them in cold water in the fridge, both shelled and peeled – what do you do?

3.1
      Dani — January 8, 2013 @ 9:57 am

I just put them in a bowl in the fridge. We go through them pretty quick around here but they last at least 5 days.

Andy — January 7, 2013 @ 10:41 am

I cook the eggs 15 minutes in boiling water. Then cool them in cold water with ice cubes. I can’t remember the last time I had trouble peeling an egg. I think it was Julia Child who gave me this method.

4.1
      Dani — January 8, 2013 @ 9:55 am

Yes. Submerged in cold water after cooking is what I usually do and it work often but not always. go figure.

Lissa — January 7, 2013 @ 2:10 pm

Another good clear concise video Dani, thank you :) I’ve been cutting my onions your way since watching the video the other day and can’t believe how much easier it is. All those years and onions!

5.1
      Dani — January 8, 2013 @ 9:54 am

You are very welcome. Glad you found it helpful.

Karri — February 7, 2013 @ 3:02 am

To make eggs super easy to peel: add a small drop of olive oil to boiling water. This makes the egg shell easy to crack and peel.

Alex — February 12, 2013 @ 10:29 am

I like to boil a pot of water and slowly lower the eggs one by one (they may crack if you go too fast). Once all the eggs are fully submerged set the timer for 9 minutes. After the timer goes off put them in a bowl and let them cool in the fridge.

This process has never failed me and always makes easy peeling eggs every time!

7.1
      Alex — February 12, 2013 @ 10:31 am

*Also makes it so the yoke is hard and yellow and not dark green, which I think looks weird.

marie — March 28, 2013 @ 3:29 pm

My mom always said to add cream of tartar to the water; I forgot about this over the years and only now thought of it when I saw your video!

I could them the say as you and then submerge them in ice water – peel immediately. Works (most of the time ;) )

I thought you all would find this amusing:

<3 your vidoes!

Sandy Frazer — May 17, 2013 @ 12:07 am

Ever since you taught me how to cook the perfect hard boiled egg (as per above), it’s the way I’ve been doing it! Absolutely foolproof! Thanks Dani :)

Marina — June 22, 2013 @ 2:32 pm

Thanks for this video! It’s easier to peel the eggs if you add just a little baking soda into the boiling water :-)

sarina — August 6, 2013 @ 4:50 pm

We can peel the eggs easily by adding salt in the water while boliling eggs

Dale — September 25, 2013 @ 1:29 am

I saw this video about peeling. Thought I would pass it along:

12.1
      Dani — October 1, 2013 @ 4:28 am

Thanks!

Raquel — November 18, 2013 @ 6:16 am

I like to bake my eggs – the eggs always have a great consistency :) Just throw an egg in each of the cups in a cupcake pan (a mini cupcake pan works best) and bake at 325 degrees for half an hour. Works nicely, no pot to clean, and you can cook a ton of them at once :)