How-To Make Homemade Pumpkin Puree (Video)

October is here so it’s THAT time of year where anything and everything that’s worth eating needs to somehow be related to pumpkin.  Wouldn’t you agree?

Pumpkin oatmeal, pumpkin bread, pumpkin protein shakes, etc. – pumpkin is the name of the game and I wanted to kick this seasons pumpkin party off in style (and what better way to do that then with a little homemade Pumpkin Puree?).

Now, while I spend most of my October trying to find ways to incorporate more pumpkin into my life this was the first year I actually attempted to make it from scratch.

Working with pumpkin is really no different than working with most other winter squash and the little bit of extra effort it takes up front is definitely paid back in flavor on the back end.

I think the biggest, notable difference between the canned and fresh puree (other than the color – fresh is a little lighter) is the texture.  The fresh puree is SO light and airy – it really adds a ‘freshness’ to whatever you mix it into to.

Now with all that being said, I’m not a fresh pumpkin puree snob and still think it’s canned counter part is well worth stocking in the pantry if that’s what it will take to make pumpkin a part of your morning oats;).  BUT should you be so inclined to indulge in the REAL DEAL then I highly recommend you watch the video and then give it a go.  And then don’t forget to come back and let me know what you think!

YOUR TURN –> Have you ever attempted making fresh pumpkin puree before?  Did you think the results were worth the extra bit of effort?  Let’s chat!

Homemade Pumpkin Puree

Yield: 2 cups

1 sugar pumpkin (about 2.5lbs)

Pre heat oven to 400

Cut off the top of the pumpkin and then slice pumpkin in half lengthwise.

Scoop out all the seeds and any of the stringy pumpkin membranes (be sure to save those seeds!) and then lay pumpkin skin side UP on a rimmed baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper or a silpat mat.

Roast for 35-40 minutes or until fork tender.

Once the pumpkin has cooled a bit, peel off the skin and pop pumpkin into a food processor.  Blend until you have nice creamy delicious, pumpkin puree.

Store in the fridge for up to two weeks.

Makes about 2 cups.

1/2 cup puree --> Calories: 50; Total Fat: 0g; Saturated Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Carbohydrate: 11g; Dietary Fiber: 3g; Sugars: 4; Protein: 2g

17 Responses to “How-To Make Homemade Pumpkin Puree (Video)”

Julia — October 3, 2012 @ 11:52 am

If you don’t puree it, but instead mash it with a potato masher or a fork, it comes out a little chunky, my personal preference for pumpkin soup. I’ve even made pumpkin pie with the chunky version, did a side-by-side taste test among friends, and found that it was preferred by the same people who prefer chunky peanut butter. Who knew?

1.1
      Dani — October 4, 2012 @ 1:07 pm

Interesting. I LOVe stuff like this. Would these same people be those who like pulp in their o.j.? LOL

sixsnowflakes — October 3, 2012 @ 1:38 pm

I’ve never been able to find sugar pumpkins. Is hokkaido a good substitute?

2.1
      Dani — October 4, 2012 @ 1:06 pm

I honestly can’t say for sure, simple because I’ve never tried it. ANy other readers have some feedback on this?!!

sixsnowflakes — October 15, 2012 @ 9:58 am

I tried this using your recipe here. It worked wonderfully. I could just scoop it with a spoon and didn’t need to do any further pureeing. I’m eating it plain right now. So nourishing.

Dani — October 16, 2012 @ 11:55 am

So glad it worked for you! Enjoy.

Sylvia — October 4, 2012 @ 7:10 am

Every year, after Halloween, our local grocery store puts the beautiful French Fairytale pumpkins (Musque De Provence) on sale for under $3.00. I buy two or three, cook them and freeze the pulp in two cup packages for use all year. This type of pumpkin has a wonderful flavor and is very meaty. I just line a cookie sheet with foil and sit the whole washed pumpkin on it. I poke slits in the top to release steam and bake until soft. I like them much better than the little sugar pumpkins.

Dani, I look forward to your emails. I have used many of your recipes and always love watching your videos. Can’t wait for the pumpkin recipes coming soon.

HAPPY FALL

3.1
      Dani — October 4, 2012 @ 1:04 pm

Good to know. Thanks for sharing… I’ll have to keep my eye out for them so I can give it a try;)

Hadas — October 4, 2012 @ 9:40 am

I use the sugar pumpkin as a soup bowl on Thanksgiving, after I baked them until the meat is tender.

4.1
      Dani — October 4, 2012 @ 1:01 pm

That sounds beautiful! I’ve seen it in magazines but have never actually tried it myself. Maybe this year;)

Carin — October 4, 2012 @ 12:51 pm

I just made my first batch of pumpkin puree on Tuesday. I pretty much did what you did except I baked the pumpkin in 1/2 inch, or so, of water in a baking dish. I’ve already used the puree in a spiced pumpkin cake, then a pumpkin smoothie. It really was very easy… and delicious!

Elana — October 4, 2012 @ 3:53 pm

Hi Dani – I am totally hooked on your videos and recipes! I actually took pumpkin puree and substituted it for mashed bananas in your banana oatmeal muffins! Substituted the vanilla and chocolate chips for pumpkin pie spice and maple syrup. Delicious and easy as pie!

6.1
      Dani — October 8, 2012 @ 7:41 pm

HA! So clever…. thanks for sharing Elana. I may have to make this one into a video someday;)

Robert — October 5, 2012 @ 2:19 pm

Hi Dani !

Where do you personally buy your ‘sugar pumpkins ? I’m having trouble finding any … Also can you please give us a good recipe for pumpkin
    smoothies.

Robert

7.1
      Dani — October 8, 2012 @ 7:40 pm

Hi Robert – I bought my sugar pumpkins at Whole Foods. – As for a pumpkin smoothie… I promise to share one soon BUT in the meantime a basic idea would be –> water (or some kind of milk), vanilla protein powder, half frozen banana, big scoop of pumpkin puree, and some pumpkin pie spice – blend and enjoy. You could also add a kiss of maple syrup if you wanted a little extra sweetness!

stdowns — October 16, 2013 @ 7:36 pm

do you have a recipe for a pumpkin roll using your pumpkin puree.

8.1