Clean Eating Mint Chocolate Chip Ice-Cream (Video)

I love my readers (viewers) SO much.

Really.

I probably should stop to tell you a little more often just how much YOU inspire me.

It’s like a relationship that you take for granted.

You know the ones.

You have someone who loves, encourages, and supports you so consistently that you stop kind of noticing simply because they’re always there.

Yeah, well… no more!

THANK YOU.

Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you!

Thank you one hundred times for reading, watching and supporting me.

For sharing your ideas and feedback, sharing my website with your friends, and helping me to learn and grow through the process of creating Clean & Delicious®.

This recipe comes to you courtesy of reader, Karina.  After posting my ‘How-To freeze Bananas‘ video a couple weeks back, Karina shared this delicious idea in the comments:

“My favorite recipe (and the kids) is spinach icecream! 2 frozen bananas, 40g spinach, pinch of salt (absolutely need as this helps break down the spinach), peppermint extract (few drops) and some chocolate chips!

As soon as I read this comment I ran to the kitchen and made it.

And then I made it again.  And again.  And again…

It is delicious, addicting, and absolutely brilliant so I just had to share it in a video!

So thank you Karina for taking the time to share – it’s a new family favorite around here.

And as for the rest of you creative cooks… What other flavors do you think would work with the banana ice cream?  Have you done any experimenting?  I’d love to hear your thoughts and ideas down below;)!

Clean Eating Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

Yield: 2 servings

• 2 frozen bananas
  • A big handful of baby spinach (40grams)
  • 2 tbsp coconut milk (or any milk you’ve got)
  • ¼ - ½ tsp. peppermint extract
  • 1 tbsp chocolate chips

Pop everything except chocolate chips into a high-speed blender and blend for about 20 seconds or until you’ve got a nice thick creamy consistency.

Add chocolate chips and blend for another few seconds.  Dish it up and enjoy!

Serves 2.

Calories: 168; Total Fat: 4.1g; Saturated Fat: 2.1g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Carbohydrate: 33g; Dietary Fiber: 3.5g; Sugars: 18.4g; Protein: 1.5g

14 Responses to “Clean Eating Mint Chocolate Chip Ice-Cream (Video)”

Daniel — August 6, 2012 @ 5:11 am

While it’s not too creative, and slightly time consuming, I once made 3 batches of banana ice cream – one with an added teaspoon of vanilla extract, one with a few tablespoons of cocoa powder, and one with a few frozen strawberries. Then I placed them into a container side by side and let them freeze together and the next morning I had neapolitan ice cream.

I also made lemon poppyseed banana soft serve with a few tablespoons of lemon juice and poppyseeds (added sweetener is recommended depending on how much or little you like lemon flavor and tanginess). Again, nothing groundbreakingly innovative, but fun and tasty nonetheless.

1.1
      Dani — August 6, 2012 @ 7:38 am

Daniel – They may not be ground breaking in your book but they have definitely excited me! Love both of the ideas and will surely give them a try! Thanks for sharing;)

Susan — August 6, 2012 @ 6:45 am

Hi Dani–can’t wait to try this, looks amazing–thanks! I’m confused about one thing though–your video says a 1/4 TEASPOON of mint extract, but your written recipe says 1/4-1/2 tbsp [TABLESPOON] of mint. That’s a big difference, please let me know which is correct? Thanks! xo

2.1
      Dani — August 6, 2012 @ 7:37 am

Hi Susan – It is suppose to be 1/4-1/2 TEASPOON – not tablespoon! Sorry for the confusion, I just adjusted the recipe.

Karina — August 6, 2012 @ 8:16 am

lol @ “Kariner” ;-P

Also, if you add the tiniest bit of salt into the blender (you really don’t need much– just grab a pinch), it helps break the water barrier/cell walls in the spinach and it’ll break down a lot better so you don’t have any spinach bits.

Glad you guys enjoyed it! It’s definitely a hit at our place. I’ve learned not to tell people what’s in it until they try it!! hahaha

Thanks for sharing the video! :D

Annie — August 6, 2012 @ 10:08 am

Thanks Dani (once again) for posting such a good idea. This will be on the menu at grandma’s house on Wednesday when my precious granddaughter comes to spend the day. Thanks to Karina too for her salt tip–will do.

I have found when making smoothie-type things using frozen bananas, that it really helps the blending if you cut the bananas into 1-inch chunks, laying them out on a sheet pan until mostly frozen (like you would in freezing strawberries) and then storing them in the freezer in bags. They blend up faster and smoother this way. Hope this idea helps

Dani, you are awesome!!

Penelope — August 6, 2012 @ 11:32 am

Yummy! Can’t wait to try this myself! Can I use frozen spinach?

Rona — August 6, 2012 @ 5:08 pm

Love this recipe. Used kale instead of spinach and a five or six mint leaves instead of extract , it’s my new favorite dessert!!

LP — August 6, 2012 @ 10:55 pm

umm helloooo… how about using fresh mint leaves?!? :)))

Debbie Lale — August 7, 2012 @ 5:48 am

What a great idea! Love the banana ice cream. I never would have thought of this combination. This sounds delicious and I am definitely going to try this.
    Thanks for all the great recipes!

Kat — August 8, 2012 @ 2:22 pm

This looks amazing! I recently discovered banana ice cream and it’s so great. I like putting in some peanut butter (or PB2) and dark chocolate chips. Then topping with a few more chocolate chips and raspberries!

Amy — August 28, 2012 @ 12:34 pm

I used frozen chopped spinach, as I did not have any fresh on hand – worked great.
    Kids thought this was an awesome after school snack….and they didn’t say yuck when the spinach was going in!
    Thank you Annie for the cut up banana trick…would make this so much easier. (I just slightly defrosted my bananas that I freeze whole when they start turning brown).

Karen — May 5, 2013 @ 6:34 pm

Hi Dani,
    I especially enjoy your bloopers! Anyway, I just tried the spinach/banana mint ice cream. Very yummy, however, the color of mine is as dark as the spinach is…your video shows it as the same green as the actual ice cream?

kiki de — September 20, 2013 @ 5:53 pm

Loved ur spinach recipe! We used kale (fresh from our garden) and ice to substitute for the bananas/spinach…..

very delicious and very healthy!