Clean Eating Banana Ice Cream (Video)

This is one of the most amazing little culinary tricks that I’ve learned yet.  Simply genius.

You’re never gonna believe this BUT if you take a frozen banana and pop it into the food processor (or blender) you will end up with thick, rich, creamy banana ice cream, I swear!

And I’m not talking well-sorta-kinda-could-pass as banana ice cream, I’m talkin’ it is seriously just as good if not better than the real deal.  It’s just crazy.  Pure insanity.

BUT before I continue to swoon, I just have to give some props to Jenna over at Eat, Live, Run.  This is where I first discovered this brilliant idea  (thanks for sharing Jenna!).

Back to my swooning…

I’ve always adored the frozen banana.

Frozen bananas topped with almond butter, stirred into yogurt, and dipped in chocolate are just a few of my favorites BUT NEVER in my wildest dreams did I know that the frozen banana was capable of this!!  It actually morphs into ice-cream all by its self!

You could pop the banana in the blender (or processor), whirl it up and call it a day BUT I found that I enjoyed adding a splash of milk to it, just to thin it out a bit (which just goes to show you how creamy it is!). I used unsweetened vanilla soy milk – SO GOOD.

Beng and I actually had some frozen yogurt leftover in the fridge from our Friday night stroll w/ Katie (oh, how our weekend activities have changed since having a new born baby!) and so we decided to do a little side-by-side taste test (I love taste tests).

Now granted, the frozen yogurt was vanilla and chocolate and NOT banana flavor BUT Beng and I both agreed that the frozen banana ice-cream was way better than the yogurt.  It’s just so rich and creamy… not to mention eating it along side the frozen yogurt made the yogurt taste especially “fake”.

Whenever I come across an idea like this it makes me think of how there are SO many nutritious alternatives to the traditional classics out there.  Like making brownies out of almonds OR cheese cake out of tofu.  I don’t know about you guys, but if I can find a way to incorporate more of the nutritious stuff without sacrificing taste or dancing with deprivation, I’m all in.

I think it’s just a matter of the times… people don’t cook like they used to.  For example, we just don’t have the time that people had fifty years ago SO we learn to cook faster, right?

SO I say, why not learn to cook smarter too.   If you can sub out a “not-so-great” ingredient with a “super-nutritious” ingredient without sacrificing flavor, then why not?!

I guess it’s just a matter of leaning some more modern techniques in the kitchen… don’t you think?

Maybe I should change the title of this post to “Modern Day Banana Ice Cream”…

Anyhow.

I don’t often ask my readers for a favor BUT tonight I am begging you… please make sure to pop some bananas into your freezer ASAP so you can make this insanely, deeelicious treat very, very soon!!

Clean Eating Banana Ice-Cream

Yield: 2 servings

2 frozen bananas
About a ½ cup unsweetened vanilla soymilk (or any kind of milk you choose)

Pop bananas into a blender or food processor and blend until the bananas have a smooth and creamy consistency (just like ice-cream).  Depending on how powerful your blender or processor is, your bananas may clunk around a bit at the beginning BUT just give them a minute.  Once they start to break down they turn into this lovely, creamy treat.

If you want… you can skip the milk addition all together, but I like to add a little in.  I usually start with about a quarter cup and then blend.  If you want it a little thinner add a little more milk, if not… skip it!

Top with whatever you’ve got on hand or nothing at all and enjoy!

Maks 2 servings.

Calories: 145; Total Fat: 2.1g; Saturated Fat: 0.2g; Trans Fat 0g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 8mg; Carbohydrate: 29.2g; Dietary Fiber: 4; Sugars: 14.4; Protein: 3.2g

32 Responses to “Clean Eating Banana Ice Cream (Video)”

Katie — July 30, 2009 @ 4:18 am

I remember reading about this trick in a cookbook a while back, but was skeptical. You’ve made a believer out of me, and I’m going to make sure to pick up some bananas today so that I can try it out. I love when the easiest method turns out to be the healthiest!!

Melissa — July 30, 2009 @ 6:06 am

Wow, what a great idea. Is the nutritional info for the entire recipe?

Thanks!

Dani — July 30, 2009 @ 6:35 am

Katie – I can understand how one might be a skeptic and am glad you are gonna give it a try;). It’s too good and to easy not to.

Melissa – The nutritional info is for two servings and does not include any toppings!

Phoo-D — July 30, 2009 @ 7:21 am

Okay, you’ve convinced me. I’m going to go buy bananas and try this right away. If this is as good as ice cream I am going to be a VERY happy woman!

Karen D. — July 30, 2009 @ 10:18 am

My dad used to do this using a juicer and a special attachment. I didn’t know you could use a food processor. By the way, he used to use peaches and strawberries with the banana. I wonder if this works in the food processor as well.

Jen @ MaplenCornbread — July 30, 2009 @ 5:16 pm

Ive been seeing this hit many blogs this summer! I really do need to try!

Desiree@Foodista — July 30, 2009 @ 7:02 pm

I’m really loving the sound of this! Mmmm I’m ready to pop a banana or two in the freezer now. Thanks so much for sharing!

Roland — August 2, 2009 @ 5:04 pm

Dani,

My son and I make banana shakes from frozen bananas and milk. That’s it. We both love them. He used to think I was putting ice cream in, too. They are THAT creamy.

My own tip is to cut the bananas into rounds and then freeze them in a zipper bag. Makes life (and blending) soooo much easier.

Tip #2? Try some coconut milk or coconut cream in your “ice cream.”

Take care,

Roland

Dani — August 2, 2009 @ 10:50 pm

Phoo-D – Oh man… I hope you like it as much as we do around here:).

Karen D – Love the idea of playing around with different frozen fruits… thanks for the tip!

Jen – Yes you do!! Now go freeze some bananas!

Desiree – Anytime!

Roland- Great point… slicing the bananas makes a world of difference AND OMG… I can’t wait to try this with coconut milk. I can already taste how good that combo will be!! Thanks for sharing… I will be trying this ASAP.

snacksgiving — August 3, 2009 @ 11:07 am

That sounds easy and healthy too..

Deborah — August 3, 2009 @ 2:43 pm

This is the coolest trick ever.. I have been doing it with a little light chocolate silk soy for awhile now and I even add some whey protein and almond butter and it is like a chocolate almond milkshake..
    Love your picture of the banana ice cream…

elizabeth — August 3, 2009 @ 3:52 pm

holy smokes – this was the best dessert ever! we made this over the weekend at a friend’s house after dinner and everyone raved even though we added too much milk. we were calling it banana ice cream soup. :) topped with a little chocolate syrup and whipped cream. it was the perfect treat and we’ve got more bananas in the freezer waiting to be blended.

Kay — August 8, 2009 @ 9:17 am

To peel or not to peel before freezing?
    I’ve tried both and peeling before is easier for me. What do you do Dani?
    thanks
    Kay
    ps My husband and I think this dessert is just heavenly!

Dani — August 8, 2009 @ 9:34 am

Snacksgiving – It is!

Deborah – I like the idea of adding some protein to this dessert… I also really want to try coconut milk! thanks for the tip.

Elizabeth – I know… it’s crazy good, isn’t it? I now have frozen bananas on hand at ALL times;).

Kay – Peel first… I always peel first!! Makes things a lot easier when you are ready to use them.

Dave Cave — August 9, 2009 @ 12:44 pm

WHAT IS THIS MADNESS?

I just made a batch of this…this…I don’t know. It’s not ice cream, so I’m calling it Nice Cream. (not+ice cream=nice cream.) I’m so confused and bewildered and feel like I’m at the end of a M. Night Shymalan movie where everything I thought was true is turned upside down.

Had it for dessert after a lunch of quinoa and steamed red cabbage. Dani your videos are controlling my life and I like it!

Dani — August 9, 2009 @ 7:58 pm

Dave Cave – I LOVE it!! So funny… and I really like the idea of “Nice Cream”… very clever.

Kay — August 10, 2009 @ 3:57 pm

P.S.
    Posted this link on my facebook page for my friends to enjoy!

Amy Eileen — August 18, 2009 @ 9:58 am

THANK YOU! Oh wow, I just love this idea. I read it yesterday, ran to the store right away, froze some bananas, and am currently eating this dish! SO GOOD! My 7yr old son loves it! Thinks its ice cream! :) I put some dark chocolate shavings on it, great stuff!

Betty — August 26, 2009 @ 3:04 pm

Wonderful,yummy site-thanks for the pictures and info! Betty

Billy Jean — September 26, 2009 @ 8:57 pm

try adding a couple of spoonfuls of sugar free chocolate pudding powder to the mix. thickens it up even more, besides giving you chocalate banana flavor.

Sara — February 10, 2010 @ 12:03 pm

I tried this last night for dessert, delish! The only prob was my food processor literally exploded and the liquid came out the sides. Did I do something wrong? I took them from freezer to food processor…and then added in some almond milk as it was whirling. Should I have waited for the bananas to defrost a little?

Andrea — March 23, 2010 @ 5:33 pm

This was amazing!!! Thanks so much for the recipe. I am a new vegan and am really missing ice cream. I mixed the banana with a bit of all natural peanut butter and it was awesome. My kids absolutely loved it as well. What a health alternative to fattening ice cream. Thanks so much!!!

TJ — June 15, 2010 @ 5:56 am

You can add chocolate protein powder or chocolate syrup to a medium sized banana also… add some milk and the kids don’t know it’s not a milk shake!!!
    I am a smoothie JUNKY and I NEVER use ice… it’s always frozen banana’s or other frozen fruit. My favorite is chocolate peanut butter banana in place of a meal! OH IT’S SO GOOD and it seems like I’m drinking a milk shake … and it’s GOOD for me!!
    1 frozen banan
    1tbs nut butter
    chocolate (carnation instant breakfast or protein powder work well or just some cocoa powder or chocolate syrup)
    1/2 milk or soy milk or almond milk etc
    blend and you have a meal :)
    The magic bullet blender is perfect for one serving also…. it’s what transformed me into a smoothie “junkie” :)

Brenda C — August 31, 2010 @ 6:38 am

Wow, this looks awesome. Can’t wait to try it. I have a bag of just purchased frozen, banana, strawberry, peaches mixture. Gotta try this for dessert tonight. Thanks for the wonderful site Dani – you’re a star! It’s part of my daily surfing routine.

And Dave Cave, I felt that way the first time I made her Kale Chips. It is a vegetable, or a chip, who knew??? Now I’m hooked!

Elana — December 2, 2010 @ 6:11 pm

Hey Dani,

Hope you are feeling good. Thanks for the link lovage :-)

xo Elana

Bridget — June 7, 2011 @ 8:44 pm

I use my Magic Bullet (small container) with 1 banana frozen in chunks, 1 heaping teaspoon of cocoa powder, 1 packet of Stevia & milk. I find it works best if the bananas are cut in quarters then in chunks-much easier to blend. I keep banana chunks frozen at all times then I can whip up a treat when I feel like icecream. I eat it out of the bullet jar.
    I also make fruit sorbet using frozen mixed berries, Pom Juice & packet of stevia—delicious!

Shelly MacDonald — June 19, 2011 @ 8:10 pm

I just happened to have a frozen banana on hand, so when I read this article I just had to try it, even though it’s 10pm in the evening… oh, what the heck! I diced up the banana into tiny pieces, added cinnamon, and one teaspoon of virgin coconut oil. WOW is all I can say. Why buy the fake processed ice cream at the store when you can have an awesome and healthy treat like this?

Tabi — July 31, 2012 @ 3:28 am

Is there really a video on this page? I can’t seem to find it.
    I tried making some yesterday though, and it was awesome! Thanks so much for talking about it, I love it.

Cecilia — August 6, 2012 @ 3:06 pm

I’m bad for letting bananas go brown-and then I don’t want to eat them. When I heard about this through Pinterest and tried it I was ecstatic! It’s sooooo good! I make mine with a spoonful of peanut butter, and some cocoa powder. YUM!!! A trick I’ve learned is to slice the bananas before putting them in the freezer-makes it easier for my blender to break them up.

Miran77 — February 2, 2013 @ 5:38 pm

Do the bananas have to be frozen? My kids and I tried this with fresh bananas and almond milk and it tasted just like that; bananas in milk and nothing like a dessert at all so I find it hard to believe all these people are raving about it :(

30.1
      Dani — February 2, 2013 @ 9:35 pm

YES!!! 100%! Absolutely! The bananas MUST be frozen. This makes the ice cream thick and creamy – totally different then fresh bananas.

Jen — May 7, 2013 @ 9:42 am

I LOVE this ice cream… so does my 2 1/2 year old! Two quick thoughts… 1. Don’t do what I did and freeze the bananas while they are still fairly green… The longer you let them sit, the better, as they develop more sweetness as they ripen. 2. Adding a few FROZEN strawberries makes a fabulous strawberry banana ice cream and does not mess with the texture or consistency. :)