Frozen Spinach Pops [For Smoothies & Protein Shakes] (Video)

Sometimes I find a tip via the web that I just can’t wait to share with you guys!

We all know that dark leafy greens are the #1 ingredient missing from American diets so I am always looking for a new way to work them into my daily routine (which brings me to these clever little spinach pops!).

I have to send out a big cyber-thank you to Brittany from LittleB’sHealthyHabits – it’s because of her that I can now effortlessly add some greens to my protein shakes and smoothies any day of the week.

Brittany’s site is all about eating clean & fitness; and I find her focus and determination to be extremely inspirational. ┬áDefinitely check her out for some clean eating inspiration and fitness motivation.

I haven’t tried yet, but I bet you could also add one of these to your morning bowl of oats to make something like this with a little less effort.

Frozen Spinach Pops

Yield: 28 servings

• 8 cups (8 oz) packed spinach leaves
  • 2 cups of water

Pop everything in a high-speed blender and blend until you have spinach juice.  Pour in to muffin cups. Pop in freezer and freeze solid.

Makes about 3.5 cups

28 mini muffins (2 tbsp. each)

Calories: 3; Total Fat: 0.1g; Saturated Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Carbohydrate: 0.6g; Dietary Fiber: 0.4g; Sugars: 0.1g; Protein: 0.5g

11 Responses to “Frozen Spinach Pops [For Smoothies & Protein Shakes] (Video)”

Lynn — July 5, 2012 @ 6:14 am

Hi Dani,

I have been freezing my spinach for a few months now and it is a great tip. I add it in my post workout smoothies (with protein powder, chia or flax seeds, fruit of choice and some liquid which can be water or almond milk or yogurt) every morning. The frozen spinach accompanied with a few cubes of ice makes the smoothie thicker. As soon as I buy my bag of spinach, I take out my magic bullet and blend it in there, then transfer to silicone individual muffin cups as it makes it easy to flip out and put into a freezer bag for when I am ready to use them.

Thanks for sharing with others who do not know this tip.

Rebecca — July 5, 2012 @ 7:38 am

That’s a great dip, thanks Dani!

Erica — July 5, 2012 @ 7:56 am

Great idea! I’ve been doing green monster smoothies for a few years and this will save me time and money! (No wasted spinach…)

One question – does it alter the consistency? I tried using bagged frozen spinach once and the color and consistency was all wrong. Made for a really chewy shake (yuck!)

Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats — July 5, 2012 @ 4:03 pm

Great idea!! I will definitely try this :)

Tanya — July 9, 2012 @ 5:23 pm

Now, out of curiosity, is there any nutritional loss in freezing them?

Brittany@ Little b's Healthy Habits — July 10, 2012 @ 6:37 pm

Thank you so much for the shout out! Glad you find it useful :)

Dynamics — August 2, 2012 @ 7:02 pm

This is amazing. Thank you Brittany and Dani. I just bought a silicon ice cube tray. Picking up baby spinach at the Farmer’s Market on Sunday. Sharing your link with all my friends.

chris R — August 7, 2012 @ 10:22 am

AWESOME IDEA! Hey Dani, where did you get the orange tray from?

Brenda H — May 12, 2013 @ 6:37 pm

Can you do the same idea with Romaine Lettuce (Frozen Romaine Pops)?

9.1
      Dani — May 13, 2013 @ 7:57 pm

I bet you could but would be less ‘green’ and probably more watery.

jmason — November 23, 2014 @ 12:35 am

About how many spinach pops equal a cup? I wandering how do you determine how may spinach pops replace the cups of spinach in a recipe. I can’t wait to give this a try.