Popcorn Broccoli (Video)

Salt, pepper, olive oil and garlic.  This, my friends, is a winning combination that will never let you down.

Which I why this simple combination paired with roasted broccoli is a go-to side dish in our house.

It’s quick.

It’s simple.

And yes…

it just so happens to be nutritious.

My three favorite adjectives when it comes to cooking (excluding the most obvious, which would be delicious!).

This has become one of my favorite ways to make broccoli and often times I’ll just make a big bowl and eat it as a snack.

With my fingers.

Which is why I call it Popcorn Broccoli.

Enjoy!

Popcorn Broccoli

Yield: 2-4 servings

• 1 large head of broccoli
  • 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
  • Fat pinch of kosher salt and ground pepper
  • 1.2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1tbsp grated Parmesan cheese

Pre heat oven to 400.

Clean and dry the broccoli befor cutting the florets into small bite size pieces (save the stems for another time).

Place all the florets in a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, powder, and Parmesan cheese. Using your hands, toss all of the ingredients together being sure that all the broccoli has a nice thin coating of the oil and spices.

Spray a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray and place all the broccoli on the sheet. Be sure that the broccoli is not over crowded.

Pop in the oven for 15 minutesand then flip the broccoli and pop back in for another ten minutes or until the broccoli is tender on the inside and crispy on the edges. Enjoy!

Serves 2-4

• 1tbsp grated Parmesan cheese

For half the recipe:  Calories: 88; Total Fat: 5.7g; Saturated Fat: 1.3g; Cholesterol: 2mg; Carbohydrate: 7.6g; Dietary Fiber: 1.2; Sugars: 0g; Protein: 5.2g

9 Responses to “Popcorn Broccoli (Video)”

Melissa — March 16, 2012 @ 8:10 am

Yum. I make this at home as well and even do it with cauliflower. BTW, if your son doesn’t devour his chubby little fist, I’m going to fly over there and do it myself. How cute is he????

Kelly — March 18, 2012 @ 3:50 am

Just made this and I am in love! I cannot thank you enough for your videos and recipes. I have always enjoyed eating healthy, but my husband prefers ‘greasy goodness’. I had him try a few of your dishes and now he will willingly eat the healthy meals I prepare from you site. Keep it up, Dani!

Melinda Neely — March 27, 2012 @ 9:48 am

This is a go-to dish in my household as well. I haven’t tried adding parm, though, and will try it out tonight!

I can’t believe your baby is already 9 months old. So cute!

Tracey — April 12, 2012 @ 7:42 am

I make this all the time, it’s a huge favorite at our house. I’ve never tried it with parmesan though, I’ll try that next time.

Olga — June 3, 2013 @ 10:35 pm

I hate broccoli and I came across this website while googling for some delicious recipes which contain my “beloved” veggie.
    I made the mixture and before put it in the oven I decided to try it raw… Guess what? I love it!!!!!!! I could eat the whole bowl just like that but I stopped myself… The next thing… while it was still sitting on the counter and I was mixing it, I got 2 compliments from my fellows at home – how good kitchen smells, what are you making?
    Well.. I burnt it and I don’t really know how the final result is supposed to taste, but I am in love with raw broccoli in your coating!
    Any other ideas how I can eat this veggy? :)

Kat — July 15, 2013 @ 6:59 pm

I was searching for an asparagus recipe, but really wanted to try this, so I decided to be experimental and try the recipe, substituting asparagus for the broccoli. And you know what? I LOVE it! And my non-asparagus-loving offspring proclaimed, “This will be great when you use broccoli instead of asparagus!” So, I consider that a win ;-) I will be trying out the broccoli version in the very near future :)

Shannon — July 31, 2013 @ 6:29 pm

Thank you for this video, Dani. I am having this with chicken right now and it is fannnntastic!

Karl — December 30, 2013 @ 2:01 pm

I have been looking for a way to create really satisfying roast broccoli for years. Your video contained the secret I had been missing–dry the flowerets and don’t crowd them in the pan. Really simple and obvious (after the fact) but it was something I wasn’t able to figure out on my own.
    Thank you for creating this video Dani! I look forward to trying your other recipes.

Melanie — June 3, 2014 @ 7:59 pm

Fabulous! And, husband/child approved! Thank you, Dani.