How-To Clean & Care For A Wood Cutting Board (Video)

One big wood cutting board it a Clean & Delicious® kitchen essential.  It’s a sure-fire way to save time in the kitchen and makes cooking a whole lot easier!

The technique I share in this video has been my go-to maintenance routine for nearly 7 years and my board is as good as new (except for a little burn it got from being too close to the stove once).

It’s a very simple yet effective, no frills technique so make sure to check it out and let me know what you think.

I’d also love to hear any tips or tricks you guys have for cleaning and maintaining your cutting boards, so please share in the comments.  Thanks!

8 Responses to “How-To Clean & Care For A Wood Cutting Board (Video)”

L — September 23, 2011 @ 8:12 am

I have a wood cutting board that I haven’t used because I didn’t know how to care for it. Well now I do, thank you so much for the information! I’m excited to use my wood cutting board now.

1.1
      Dani — September 26, 2011 @ 1:58 pm

So glad to hear it!!

Robert — September 23, 2011 @ 1:35 pm

Hi Dani -

I have a brand new wood cutting board that I have never used also. The board does not have any “feet” or “pads” on the bottom. I’ve heard that you never want to just put the board directly on the tile counter top without something between them like a dish towel because the bottom of the board may become mildewed. Can you suggest what you would do ? Do you put something down between them or not ?

Robert

2.1
      Dani — September 26, 2011 @ 2:01 pm

Hi Robert – I normally do not put anything down although you could use one of those slip-free cushy liners you can buy to line your kitchen shelves with. I know they help to keep the board from slipping but not sure about the mildew. With that being said, I don’t use anything and have never had a problem with mildew. As long as you keep your counter clean and dry you shouldn’t have a problem.

Ana — October 22, 2013 @ 8:09 am

Quick question: if I don’t have mineral oil is there any other replacement?

kervin — December 21, 2013 @ 9:18 pm

Is there a particular brand of mineral oil you use and where can i buy this?

Loula — December 23, 2013 @ 10:43 am

These techniques are what my grandmother and aunts used, too, and they are economical as well as healthy. Thanks for spreading the news about these techniques.

Cathy Vollett — March 30, 2014 @ 9:08 am

Just wanted to thank-you very much for this video. I know that lemons have natural antiseptic qualities. This method has really cleaned up my wooded cutting boards. They almost look like new. I read previous posts …I have used wooden cutting boards for years and have never once experienced mildew issues. After using and cleaning, I store them under my sink in an upright manner to ensue that they thoroughly dry. Thank-you again for your post. :)