Simple Summer Raw Tomato Sauce (Over Spaghetti Squash)

Raw Tomato Sauce - Clean & Delicious®

Raw Tomato Sauce – Clean & Delicious®

While 80 degrees has been the SoCal high this past weekend I KNOW that many of you have been dealing with temperatures much hotter!

I also know that no one wants to deal with hot ovens or grills when it’s so hot outside which is exactly why this recipe should have you smiling at your computer right now!

This my friends is a fresh, seasonal sauce that requires only five ingredients and there’s absolutely NO cooking involved!  A few pulses in the food processor and your work is done.

It’s important to remember that whenever you make a recipe that uses so few ingredients it’s an absolute must that the ingredients are top-notch. This is non-negotiable!  So for this sauce be sure to choose fresh, ripe summer tomatoes and a nice, fruity olive oil.  As for the basil, it’s got to be fresh, dried basil won’t make the cut.

This recipe was inspired by Giada but I lightened it up by skipping the cheese, cutting back on the oil and serving it over spaghetti squash instead of pasta. And don’t worry… you can easily avoid the oven by cooking your spaghetti squash in the microwave (demonstrated at the end of this video).

It’s amazing how much flavor this sauce packs for such a simple recipe but again that is largely due the quality if the ingredients;).

Not in the mood for squash or pasta?!  No worries… this sauce would be absolutely delicious served over some grilled chicken, steak or fish or simply spooned on some toasty bread!

How are you keeping your kitchens cool and your bellies happy in this heat?  Do you have any no-cook tips you can share with us?!

No-Cook Tomato Sauce

Yield: 4 servings

• 4 scallions, white and pale green portions roughly chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1 pint of cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 10 basil leaves
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Place all of the ingredients in a food processor and pulse just until everything is roughly chopped.  Be careful not to puree the mixture!

Adjust seasonings and enjoy!

Makes 4 servings (about 1/3 cup each).

Calories: 88g; Total Fat: 7g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 16mg; Carbohydrate: 8.1g; Dietary Fiber: 1.5g; Sugars: 4.4g; Protein: 1.4g

10 Responses to “Simple Summer Raw Tomato Sauce (Over Spaghetti Squash)”

Maria — July 5, 2011 @ 5:30 pm

It’s hard when you find a good foodie site, but the seasons are opposite to your own. We’re all about ‘winter warmers’ here in Australia now.. so I search through your archives for inspiration. No spaghetti squash around here at the moment and I don’t think I’ve ever tried it! Thanks for posting this fresh and easy recipe anyway, it looks good!

1.1
      Dani — July 11, 2011 @ 8:18 am

Oh Wow! I could see how that would be a challenge! Hope you can find something good in the archives and be sure to bookmark this one for the Summer.

Erin — July 5, 2011 @ 8:38 pm

Dani,

Congratulations on your new baby and welcome back! I hope you’re getting at least a little sleep by now. :)

This recipe looks great. Your video for cooking spaghetti squash in the microwave has made it so easy for me to include it in my diet regularly! I’m also always looking for new ways to use all the fresh tomatoes and basil available this time of year. I can’t wait to try this sauce.

Here is one of my favorite no-cook recipes that I tried last summer and have made quite a bit since. I take summer squash (zucchini, patty pan squash, etc.-whatever looks good at the market) and slice it into thin ribbons (I use a mandoline or even a veggie peeler). I toss it with some chopped fresh basil, white wine or champagne vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, feta cheese (I get some amazing feta from my farmer’s market) and salt and pepper to taste. It’s great on it’s own or on the side of grilled fish, chicken or shrimp. I probably eat this at least once a week in the summer!

2.1
      Dani — July 11, 2011 @ 8:20 am

Erin – Thanks so much:) And thanks for sharing your recipe! I very rarely eat my zucchini raw so this salad is very intriguing! Plus, I like how easy it is:).

Ren — July 10, 2011 @ 9:12 am

I am definitely going to try this!

3.1
      Dani — July 11, 2011 @ 8:21 am

Great…Let me know what you think!

Maggie Wilson — August 5, 2011 @ 5:08 pm

Hi Dani,

Tried this recipe tonight, it was delicious! I cut back on the garlic, 4 cloves was a little daunting to me. LOL. I served it over raw spiralized zucchini noodles. Everything except the garlic and olive oil was local or out of my garden. Love it! It tasted like a delicious summer pasta salad. Even my kids (3 and 4) loved it. Thanks and congrats on the new babe :)

mikhaila — October 11, 2012 @ 6:32 pm

I love your website. Im so happy that Ive found it and have tried a few of your recipes so far and look forward to trying more. I made this for supper today and it was soo good. I will be making it again very soon.

5.1
      Dani — October 16, 2012 @ 11:57 am

Thanks for letting me know;) SO glad you enjoy the sauce!!

Jonny — May 6, 2013 @ 2:05 pm

Thanks Dani looking forward to making this :3!