Easy Brown Rice and Black Beans

Easy Brown Rice and Beans

Brown Rice & Black Beans – Clean & Delicious

As much as I love to cook, the truth is that I usually only cook two (sometimes three) meals a week and the rest of the nights we eat very basic, simple meals made from ‘head start’ ingredients or leftovers.

As most of you know, my hubby and I are very dedicated to our Sunday ‘pre-preppin’ sessions.

And although every week the ‘pre-prep’ items change ever so slightly, for the most part we cut up a bin of crudite (carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, radishes), rinse and chop some greens (kale, collards, chard… whatever looks good) cook up a pot of whole grains (ie. brown rice, quinoa, barley…) and sometimes makes some chicken or salmon.

These very basic ingredients help me to eat well even when I’m short on time and/or just don’t feel like cooking.  And although they may result in very simple meals, they are deeeelicious none-the-less!

This recipe (if I dare even call it that) uses pre-prepped brown rice, a can of black beans, and a dollop of coconut oil and takes all of five minutes to make.  Sometimes I’ll put it over a bed of spinach and just let the heat of the beans and rice wilt the greens.  Sometimes I eat is as is and sometimes we’ll have it as a side.

It’s clean, it’s simple, and it is very tasty!

As a matter-of-fact this simple little meal is one of Katie’s favorites so for those of you looking for super-nutritious, super-simple kid-friendly meals, you’ll defintiely want to keep this in your back pocket!

But now I’m curious!  Do you cook every night? How do you manage to eat well even when  time and/or energy is not on your side?

Brown Rice And Black Beans

Yield: 4 sevings

• 2 cups of cooked brown rice
  • 1 can of low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Combine rice and beans in a medium bowl and microwave for about two minutes (or until heated through).  Stir in coconut oil and season with salt and pepper.  Enjoy!

Makes 4 servings.

Nutrients for 1/4th of the recipe: Calories: 222; Total Fat: 5.2; Saturated Fat: 3.2g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 12mg; Carbohydrate: 36.4g; Dietary Fiber: 6.2g; Sugars: 0g; Protein: 7.5g

21 Responses to “Easy Brown Rice and Black Beans”

Nicole GW — March 13, 2011 @ 1:56 pm

I do cook almost every night (mostly your stuff!).. but I don’t do a big Sunday prep (just because I am not nearly that organized). What I do is the following: when I get home from work (4:15ish) I will do my prep almost immediately (wash, cut, etc). Then I take a nice long break of Oprah and relaxation. My partner starts complaining of hunger at around 7pm, and I’ll get off the couch to do the rest of the dinner. This works great for me, and is my solution to fatigue management while still eating healthy :)

1.1
      Dani — March 13, 2011 @ 3:10 pm

Ultimately it’s all about the prep, isn’t it? So really finding a prep time that works for you is the key! I usually sneak my Oprah breaks in too… I’m so sad that this is her last season:(

J. — March 14, 2011 @ 2:16 am

Excellent timing! I was just wondering what to do with some leftover brown rice in the fridge & have a can of black beans on hand:~)

2.1
      Dani — March 15, 2011 @ 12:11 pm

Perfect!

CindyO — March 14, 2011 @ 6:56 am

Dani-How many servings does this make? Is it a one cup per serving? Just wanting to match up the calorie content to the serving size. Sounds delish! Hoping to make this week! Thanks so much.

3.1
      Dani — March 13, 2011 @ 12:11 pm

The entire recipe is four servings – about a cup each. If I were having it as my main meal I might have a bit more and pair it with a pile of greens!

Melissa — March 14, 2011 @ 8:23 am

First, I love this dish! I’m such a beans and rice person, I could eat it every day. I like seeing how others make it, helps to put a little variety in what I eat.

Like you, I am a pre-prepper. You have to be! Remember my meal planning of lazies post? The weeks that I don’t do that, we end up eating pretty shabbily and I hate that. We also do the crudites, and usually I will make hummus or tzatziki to go with it. We eat it for snacks or to supplement whatever we have for lunch. And some crudite always goes in the lunch boxes for school – it’s such a timesaver when making lunches in the morning. I also do your basic bakes chicken breast a lot, it helps with several types of dishes I make as weeknight fare. I actually have two posts forthcoming on using your chicken breast, I’ll let you know when they are up!

I will typically put on a big pot of brown rice or other whole grain on Monday morning (since I work from home). That sustains me for my lunches and occasional needs for dinner during the week. It’s quite difficult to eat right when you work from home…I tend to get really into my tasks and then look up and it’s 2:00 pm. I now have reminders scheduled every few hours so that I will eat! The pre-prepped items make life really easy so all I do is grab something instead of eating a non clean quick fix.

Finally, I usually make a big soup on Sunday or Monday and my husband and I will eat that throughout the week as well. It’s usually some kind of lentil or veggie soup. I made a BIG pot of lentil-veggie stew yesterday and the recipe is up on my blog, it seems like something you might enjoy so give it a try. The flavors only get better when it’s a leftover and it’s protein and veggie dense. You could even wilt some greens into it to only add to the nutrition.

That’s my novel, back to work!!!

4.1
      Dani — March 15, 2011 @ 12:11 pm

So funny – I just made a big pot of lentil-veggie soup this morning and can’t wait to have some for lunch! I also work from home but unlike yourself skipping meals has never been an issue for me! I’m more the kind of girl who counts down the minutes to her next meal!! LOL! Can’t wait to see what you’ve done with the chicken:)

Sandy Q — March 14, 2011 @ 9:58 am

Hey there, Hope your doing well in your second prego! Quick question… When the need does arise, I was wondering if you had any healthy recommedations at fast food places when we need to feed ourselves and our kiddies on the run?

5.1
      Dani — March 15, 2011 @ 12:11 pm

This is a great question – which really deserves a post of it’s own! But in nutshell, I think trying to stick to deli’s and grocery stores is the way to go. This way you can still make choices that are at the very least “real” food:).

tawana b — March 14, 2011 @ 4:47 pm

what is the purpose of the coconut oil in the beans and rice? i bet its tasty. that is something i have never tried. i really like the idea of plain or simple meals. our culture really eats to much. you have a lot of great ideas!

6.1
      Dani — March 15, 2011 @ 12:11 pm

I’ve been doing a lot of research on ‘fats’ and have been completely won over by both the benefits and flavors of coconut oil (I will do a post on this soon!). And I find adding just a tbsp to the entire recipe gives this simple dish such a great flavor… it’s rich and adds just a kiss of sweetness.

Jen M — March 15, 2011 @ 12:11 pm

I’m curious how you do your brown rice so it’s good left over. Mine always ends up either dry or mushy when reheated…don’t know how to avoid it but I hope you can tell me!

Kathy — March 15, 2011 @ 3:21 pm

Prepping on Sundays is a great idea. I have a large family so I am always seeking ways to provide healthy and economical meals for my family. Do You use a rice cooker? I’m considering getting one. Do You just combine the grain with cooked veggies(or raw) with a protein when You assemble your dinners?

Tami@nutmegnotebook — March 17, 2011 @ 5:10 pm

I do something like that but also add some corn, cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lime juice!

I love leftovers and often double recipes so we will have some fast heat and eat meals to make life easier.

Kalynskitchen — March 18, 2011 @ 11:59 am

This is such a great side dish, and it would be a great thing to have in the fridge as a starter for other ideas! (I love anything with black beans so I could think of endless ideas for using this.)

10.1
      Dani — March 15, 2011 @ 12:11 pm

I love black beans too and especially the fact they are so versatile right out of the can.

martha@simple-nourished-living.com — March 23, 2011 @ 9:22 pm

Great post. I really think that planning and prepping are keys to easy healthy eating. I’m in Florida visiting my folks at the moment and just made a big batch of brown rice yesterday which I’ve been enjoying with canned black beans and salsa. Mom and dad don’t appreciate the simple deliciousness of it but I sure do.

11.1
      Dani — March 25, 2011 @ 3:09 pm

So glad you share my love of the ‘simple meals’! I bet if you could just get your Mom and Dad to taste it, they may just change their minds;)

Sandi — March 30, 2011 @ 6:36 am

I can’t believe how great tasting this is to be so basic and simple. I think the coconut oil really makes a difference. I’m trying to think of other things to add to this for variety.. all I can think of so far is walnuts and/or mango maybe..? I’d love more ideas of what any of you think would be good additions to this great tasting dish. I’m SO HAPPY I found your site Dani!

likes to cook — September 12, 2013 @ 7:42 am

I am new to your site but everything looks delicious. I’ve never cooked with coconut oil though. Where does one get it? What does it taste like. My husband does not like coconut flavor particularly. Will that be a problem?