Roasted Rainbow Orzo Salad

Roasted Veggie Orzo

Roasted Veggie Orzo – Clean & Delicious®

Eating your veggies is not a problem when they taste good.

Am I right, or am I right?

This Roasted Rainbow Orzo Salad includes all the colors of the rainbow in honor of Kia from ‘Today I Ate a Rainbow’. Kia is all about making healthy eating fun for kids and she’s got a whole system that helps us parents help our kids.

I find that when it comes to encouraging Katie (now 18 months) to eat healthy foods, it’s all about ‘repetitive exposure‘.

I pretty much exposure her to everything my husband and I are eating and often a few extra fruits or veggies for good measure.  Sometimes she eats it and sometimes she doesn’t but I try not let what she ‘doesn’t’ eat effect what I give her.

In other words, if she doesn’t touch her broccoli on Monday I don’t just assume she won’t eat her broccoli on Tuesday.  She can go a week and snub her nose to sauteed kale and then the following week eat an entire bowl.

As for this veggie packed salad, Katie loved it right out of the gate!

It really is scrumptious.

I actually made it twice (because I couldn’t get a decent picture the first round – drives me crazy!) the first time we had friends over and served this salad with grilled flank steak and the second time I just made it and kept in the fridge all week as a head start meal.

But since this recipe was a guest post for Kia, you’re gonna have to pop on over to ‘Today I Ate a Rainbow‘ if you want to see the recipe (I promise, both the recipe and Kia’s site are worth the click).

8 Responses to “Roasted Rainbow Orzo Salad”

Melinda Neely — January 14, 2011 @ 12:52 pm

I love your idea of repetitive exposure. I’ve also found that being insistent about my little guy eating healthy foods – then consistent in serving well balanced meals, I’ve had little trouble getting him to eat most anything over the years.

It’s nice to see a dish that shows off the veggies rather than hiding them!

1.1
      Dani — January 18, 2011 @ 10:11 pm

I have never done the “hidden veggie” thing and I gotta say, Katie looks at fruits and veggies the same way she looks at cheese, bread, cookies, turkey, cereal, etc. -> It’s all yummy food:)

Jade — January 15, 2011 @ 6:08 pm

Thanks for sharing! We are having spring rolls to celebrate the end of the year – Lunar December 15 is the day for spring rolls. We roll stir-fried shreds of vegi and pork together with the very thin spring roll sheet, and eat it with hot sauce, peanut powder, and cilantro. On the contrary to the fried spring roll you often get at restaurants, we do not fry them, and it is even more delicious this way. The vegi include cabbage, fragrant mushroom, carrot, dehydrated bean curd, celery, and bean sprouts. They are as colorful as your rainbow salad, in fact, it may as well be called Rainbow Rolls! I am getting the materials now, this will be our weekend highlight!

2.1
      Dani — January 18, 2011 @ 10:11 pm

Your spring rolls sound amazing! Would love to have the recipe if you feel like sharing. I’ve never tried making them before!

Rose @ The BMK — January 18, 2011 @ 9:20 am

That looks fantastic! I’m headed over for the recipe right now!

3.1
      Dani — January 18, 2011 @ 10:11 pm

It’s a good one:).

Cara — January 18, 2011 @ 10:27 am

This is gorgeous! And even though I don’t have kids, I enjoyed reading your tip. I feel like far too many parents promote picky eating by not re-exposing. I hope my future children learn to enjoy a variety of healthy foods.

Dani — January 18, 2011 @ 10:11 pm

Your kids will do what you do so of course they will love a healthy variety of delicious foods!