Slow Roasted Tomatoes

Slow Roasted Tomatoes

Slow Roasted Tomatoes – Clean & Delicious

I’ve never roasted tomatoes before.  But after reading this post on Smitten Kitchen who could resist?  Deb made we want to make roasted tomatoes over apple pie (because apples were the other ingredient I loaded up on at the Farmers Market last week!).  No joke!

So I grabbed my knife and began slicing my tomatoes in half.

Slowly.

One at a time.

Truth be told I was a little stressed out before I began and decided to take a meditative approach to slicing my tomatoes. I pulled over my big wooden chopping board, grabbed my knife and sat at the island in my kitchen as I began to slice through each tomato.

I’m not so good at sitting down quietly and meditating in the corner for hours (or minutes) on end BUT I do enjoy me some active meditation (like slicing tomatoes or going for a hike).  Am alone here?  Am I the only one who can find peace and clarity while peeling beets or trimming an artichoke?

But I digress…

Once I had all my tomatoes sliced up, I laid them out on my parchment lined baking sheets, tossed in my garlic, and thyme, drizzled them with olive oil and then kissed them with some salt and pepper.

Roasted Tomatoes.jpg

Then into the oven they went for three hours.

Oh yes!

Three sexy, slow-roasted hours.

Hey that’s what Deb said to do, so that’s what I did!

And oh, my my…. were they worth the glorious time.  They were sweet, tangy, succulent…. and did I even mention how great my kitchen smelled?!

Once you’ve got them cooked up you can use them in about 101 different ways.

I can’t stop myself from making a little goat cheese, garlic, and roasted tomato crostini!

Crostini.jpg

Deelicious!

But still, I am curious… how do YOU like to use your roasted tomatoes?  Have any yummy ideas that I NEED to know?!

Slow Roasted Tomatoes

Cook Time: 3 hours

Total Time: 3 hours 15 minutes

2 pints of cherry tomatoes

1 tbsp olive oil

1 head of garlic

A few sprigs of fresh thyme

Salt and pepper to taste

Pre heat oven to 225.

Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.

Slice tomatoes in half crosswise and lay out on baking sheets.

Separate, but do not peel, cloves of garlic and lay them out on the sheet as well.Drizzle tomatoes with the olive oil, toss on the sprigs of thyme and season with some salt and pepper.

Pop in the oven for three hours or until the tomatoes have wilted and dried out on the outside but are still al little juicy on the inside.

Enjoy!

Nutrients for the entire recipe: Calories: 366; Total Fat: 13.5g; Saturated Fat: 1.8g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Carbohydrate: 55g; Dietary Fiber: 8g; Sugars: 24g; Protein: 8g

10 Responses to “Slow Roasted Tomatoes”

Priyanka — September 21, 2010 @ 4:16 am

My Mum would roast tomatoes and make tomato chutney with it. Oh my it was by far the best chutney ever. The roasted tomatoes, tempered with some mustard seeds, cumin seeds, serrano pepper, garlic, paprika and brown sugar was simply perfection!I think I am going to make the chutney tonight.

And then the chutney will be slathered on a baguette to turn it into a crostini!!

Elwood — September 21, 2010 @ 4:34 am

Dani,
    Always love your posts. I have been roasting tomatoes for the last month too. I had an influx from our community garden. The smell when they are roasting is so good…and they freeze really well for a summer memory in those cold winter months.

Lori — September 21, 2010 @ 5:46 am

This sounds great! I have a ton of tomatoes just waiting for something to be done with them.

After they are roasted…what do you make out of them?

Thanks!

Amber — September 21, 2010 @ 7:41 am

Hi Dani – I love reading your posts, thank you so much !
    Whenever I need something new, healthy (but easy enough) I
    find you in my faves and see what you’re up to.
    Anyway, I love roasted tomatoes much more than even fresh tomatoes, it’s funny. I will typically roast up a batch and throw them in a frittata or omlet. Recently I had a vermont chedder, roasted tomato and basil mayo wrap which I hope to replicate.
    Okay, so a couple more (easy) ideas for you.
    enjoy!
    Amber

Leigh — September 21, 2010 @ 9:14 am

How long do they keep if you can’t use them all right away, or being a single, should I only make as much as I will use immediately? How do you store them? In the frig?

Alison — September 21, 2010 @ 12:35 pm

Gorgeous! This made me think of Spain… the way they take crusty bread and rub it with garlic and tomatoes and drizzle with a bit of oil. As good as the fresh tomatos are I think spreading on the roasted love would be amazing.

Dani — September 21, 2010 @ 3:55 pm

Priyanka – Thanks for sharing! I would have never thought to make a chutney. I love how much I learn from you guys:).

Elwood – I had no idea you could freeze them… what a great idea. Thanks!

Lori -Oh the options are endless! You could use them as a condiment on sandwiches, toss them in pasta, put them on some fish or chicken, make a chutney (thanks Priyanka!), throw them in an omelet….

Amber – Holy deelicious wrap! That sounds amazing. I love tomato and mayo anything.

Leigh – I drizzle them with a little evoo and pop them in the fridge. They don’t usually last too long around here, but I would think they would last about two weeks or so. AND I just learned from Elwood that they freeze well too!

Alison – They really are so good. I’m pretty sure you’ll LOVE them!

martha@simple-nourished-living.com — September 21, 2010 @ 4:12 pm

What wonderful inspiration. I think you could pack the tomatoes in a jar covered with olive oil and they would last in the fridge indefinitely. I have a great recipe for an artichoke roasted tomato quiche that these would be delicious in.

Kalyn — September 22, 2010 @ 6:43 pm

I am just crazy over slow roasted tomatoes. Can’t face winter without bunches of them in the freezer.

Shannon — September 27, 2010 @ 6:55 am

Thanks Dani! This is going to be an amazing upgrade my favorite pasta dish. I usually broil up an olive oil coated mix of mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, and crushed garlic. Then I add them to some cut-up chicken and sausage that I’ve sauteed on the stove. I toss that together with lemon pepper papardelle and then lay a serving over some fresh arugala and sprinkle with a tiny bit of goat cheese. Tastes great, but my tomatoes don’t hold their form. These roasted tomatoes are going to be the perfect solution! Can’t wait to try it out!!