Remember the abundance of blueberries I mentioned a few weeks back when I was making my Whole Wheat Blueberry Scones? Well, they’re baaaaaack! Only this time they are jam packed into some Bite Size Blueberry Bran Muffins!
I started experimenting with Bran muffins when I was pregnant (I won’t get into any more details than that!) and after trying a handful of different recipes, this is by far my favorite.
The original recipe comes from Susan of Farm Girl Fare and truth be told, it doesn’t need to be tweaked one bit!! Susan sums it all up on her blog when she says, “These bran muffins are made from 100% whole grains, including plenty of both wheat bran and oat bran (giving you soluble and insoluble fiber at once), and yet they don’t taste like sawdust or have the consistency of little bricks.”
In my opinion, this recipe is everything I want a Bran Muffin to be! It’s moist, hearty, and super nutritious. The only changes I made were in subbing out a few full fat ingredients for lighter versions of themselves.
Here’s what I did and why:
- Swapped full fat milk for Organic 1% milk. This is an easy-no brainer swap that cuts back on saturated fat.
- Swapped full fat yogurt for plain fat free Greek yogurt. Same idea… less calories, less fat no sacrifice in flavor.
- Swapped canola oil for Grape seed oil. I’ve been doing a lot of research on oils and it seems that canola oil is one of the most highly processed oils out there (not a good thing) so I’ve been using grape seed oil as a alternative but the jury is still out. Anyone have any insight on these two oils??
Bite-Sized Blueberry Bran Muffins
Yield: 36 muffins
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2 cups of wheat bran
- 1-cup oat bran
- 1 cup of white whole-wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup 1% milk
- 2/3-cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/3-cup grape seed oil
- 1/3-cup molasses
- 1/3-cup honey
- 1&1/2 cup of fresh blueberries
Pre heat oven to 375.
Spray a 36-mini muffin pan with cooking spray and set aside (you could also line with paper liners if you have them).
Combine wheat bran, oat bran, whole-wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl and set aside. Combine eggs, milk, yogurt, oil, molasses, and honey in a small bowl and mix well.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula until just combined.
Fill muffin cups with batter (about ¾ full). Since this makes about 36 muffins, you’re second tray will have some empty cups so be sure to fill them with a little water before baking to ensure even heat distribution.
Bake for about 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool muffins in pan for 10 to 15 minutes, then carefully remove from pan and serve warm, or let cool on a wire rack.
I love these muffins crumbled over some Greek yogurt with a little peanut or almond butter stirred in!
Makes 36 - mini muffins
Nutrients per-muffin: Calories: 75; Total Fat: 2.9g; Saturated Fat: 0.3g; Cholesterol: 10mg; Sodium: 93mg; Carbohydrate: 12.7g; Dietary Fiber: 2.5g; Sugars: 3.8g; Protein: 2.3g